Post fade colour when going to topic from latest - has it changed colour?

(AstonJ) #1

Not sure if this is a bug or if it’s been intentionally changed.

When going to a topic from the latest page, it takes you to the first unread post - previously this post would fade in from a colour which I think is this one that can be set in the customisations:

highlight
The background color of highlighted elements on the page, such as posts and topics.

or might have even been:

tertiary
Links, some buttons, notifications, and accent color.

However, now it fades from white, which makes it look like a glitch if the post colour is anything other than white.

If it’s been intentionally changed is there a css class we can target to change it back?

Edit: Hmmm, interesting, here on DC it still fades from blue :confused: (this suggests it is using ‘tertiary’ from the customisations… but why isn’t it respecting mine?)

Edit 2: This gets weirder - it seems to actually be fading from the tertiary colour to white and then snaps to my post colour. So it looks like the fade has been hard-coded to fade to white from the tertiary colour (rather than to post colour) - this must have been introduced recently?

(Steve Combs) #2

There is some info on this post that might help

including how to disable the fade

(AstonJ) #3

Thanks Steve, however I don’t want to disable it - I’d prefer it to work like it used to, fade from the tertiary colour to the post colour.

It used to work fine, so I’m guessing something got changed and it ‘broke’ (hence posting as a bug). I don’t think the current implementation is wanted behaviour because it basically means it’s unusable (has to be turned off) for anyone who doesn’t have posts with a white background.

(cpradio) #4

Well it is using $tertiary

But it seems to be using a diff of the $tertiary and $secondary, not sure if that is the cause or not.

@AstonJ,

You can override this yourself though. I think if you copy those items into your own CSS customization and use $tertiary instead of the diff function, it might do what you are wanting.

(AstonJ) #5

Thanks @cpradio - can I use variables in my custom CSS?

(cpradio) #6

Yes, I believe you can as it accepts SCSS and will covnert/transform it into CSS.

(cpradio) #7

I just proved the following works on my sandbox

@keyframes background-fade-highlight {
  0% {
    background-color: $tertiary;
  }
  100% {
    background-color: transparent;
  }
}

(AstonJ) #8

Awesome - that’s much better thanks @cpradio :+1: (though I had to change transparent and hard code in post colour)

(cpradio) #9

That is bizarre. As transparent should have been okay, or I would have thought.

(cpradio) #10

@AstonJ, if you could tell me what the actual values of $tertiary and your post colour are, I’d love to play with it a bit. I’m very curious as to why “transparent” would cause issues.

(AstonJ) #11

Here ya go:

Tertiary #9A54B1
Post #F6EEF7 (same as ‘highlight’ colour in customisations)

(cpradio) #12

Hmm, okay, nothing is standing out yet, but let’s make sure I have the important colors correct

I haven’t enabled the highlight fade change I had recommended to you yet and this is what I’m seeing:
https://goo.gl/Oje0Qw

(AstonJ) #13

Secondary needs to be white - that is the page background…

(cpradio) #14

Okay, this is what I see using default settings
https://nimbus.everhelper.me/client/notes/share/725686/a9a8rduouuayxls0spmd

I’m not seeing anything like what you were describing previously…

(AstonJ) #15

I’m not seeing anything at that link - just a black page with a play button that does nothing.

When you’re around next let me know and I’ll remove that custom CSS so you can see it (I just removed it and the same thing happened again).

Also it’s worth noting it happened after an upgrade - everything was fine and then is started happening (haven’t made any CSS changes for a while).

(cpradio) #16

I’m around, feel free to send me a link so I can see it first hand. I’m still curious as to what would cause it

Edit: Seems I missed you, I’ll be back between 7:00 AM EST and 10:00 PM EST.