Posting needs approval - no reason for holding post given

Hi there!

I’d like to ask your help with the following:
For some reason some of our forum user’s posts are held for approval and I can’t seem to find out why.

The approval queue just shows me the avatar, name, content and the buttons for approval and rejection, but not a reason why. I first thought this could have something to do with the skin so I switched skins, but alas.

Attached are two (anonymised, for privacy) screenshots of what I see. The three anonymised blocks contain the avatar, the name and the text of the post.

I did check the settings for approval/moderation, but they shouldn’t match (no filter words, etc). The users themselves have been active for some time now and are level 1 and 2. Also: This wasn’t a problem yesterday, but is a problem today.

Finally: I checked the logs in /var/discourse/shared/standalone/log/var-log but nothing relevant there.

Any hints, suggestions or explanations why I’m an idiot are more than welcome :slight_smile:

Some background info:

• Forum with 1000+ accounts, at the time of writing around 90 active online
  • Software version 2.0.0.beta9 +198

(cpradio) #2

Go through the checklist

The Admin > Logs > Staff Actions might be useful too

Hi,

First of all: Thanks for the response!

I went through the checklist:

• Checked whether the users themselves were marked as silenced (no)
  • Checked whether the users are marked as staged (no)
  • Checked whether the ‘automatically silence users that do not meet min_first_post_typing_time’ was active (disabled)
  • Checked approve unless trust level (set to 0, affected users are TL 1 and 2)
  • Same for new topics (set to 0)
  • Checked min first post typing time - reduced to 2000 ms

The admin > logs > staff actions indeed shows ‘post approved’ but for manually approved posts. But it doesn’t show anything on why the posts weren’t approved automatically in the first place.

I also checked the error logs, but again nothing there.

If you have any additional suggestions then I’d be most grateful!

(cpradio) #4

Any watched words setup?

No, none!

I did test a bit more and I did notice that the problems go away when I increase the trust level of the users so the current working theory is that they bump into some sort of limit.

These people are fairly active, and my current idea is that the Babble-plugin may throw off some counters of some sort.

But not sure, and I can’t seem to find a place where the system tells me why some users are marked as ‘should be reviewed’.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I suggest rebuilding with all third party plugins disabled.

Hi Jeff,

A bit drastic since the users love the functionality, but I will give it a go!