Private Topics Plugin. Is it possible?

(Ronan Teixeira) #1

Hi everybody,

We (me and my partner) are planning to move our 5k members Phpbb community to Discourse or NodeBB next week.
We installed both for tests and we were heavily considering choosing Discourse until we realized what we think would be a serious UX problem: the lack of private topics.
We created a test private category. But in our case, the users would need 2 special groups to have access to our most active topics. So, in order to find those topics, the user would need to:

• Click the upper category (group A) > Click the subcategories (group B, C or D, those are subgroups of A) > Click the topic

It is such a work that we think after 15 days, nobody would come back to our forum…
We need a simple “Click and go” solution!

My partner is a senior Python developer and I have PHP experience. We have just taken a look at Ruby and RoR and we don’t know almost nothing about Discourse’s core yet.

What we would like to know is:
Is it possible to create a plugin that makes private topics?

If it is, we are prone to choose Discourse and learn (or hire someone) to do that.
Otherwise Discourse is out of question for us. Thank you.

(Sam Saffron) #2

I really don’t understand.

topics in secure categories show fine up in the main category list.

(Bhanu Sharma) #3

Private topics aren’t a big issue! … The Question being How You plan to implement them.
Discourse has a Slightly different approach but I think if You restrict a Category to a Certain trust level or group then all the topics in it will only be visible to that group/trust level!

if You want one on one private conversations, there already exists the DM functionality.

if You have any specific requirements, maybe try posting it to #marketplace and someone may be able to do the thing for You.

(Mittineague) #4

As for the “cat A -> sub-cat B -> topic” navigation, maybe changing the default Admin -> Settings -> Basic Setup desktop category page style from Categories and Latest Topics (columnar) to Categories with Featured Topics (rows) would be better for you?

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

There is generally no need to visit a category page. If a user can read a category Latest and new with display all of the topics available.