Problems with Discourse install in VMWare

(Robby O'Connor) #41

It wouldn’t be silently deprecated if they spoke of it :thinking::stuck_out_tongue:

(Robert Hudson) #42

That doesn’t mean that the issue is with virtualisation. Of course, neither does it mean that it is not. :slight_smile:

VMware ESXi can, by and large, if configured correctly, pass just about every CPU function available through to the VM. It is possible that there is a configuration error (or intentional choice made in configuration) which is preventing Docker from seeing what it wants to see in a VM - if there’s something it needs, Docker should have documentation on it.

There’s data floating around on it too: Docker Performance on top of VMware vSphere - opvizor

And vSphere 6.5 introduces containerisation natively within the hypervisor, effectively allowing Docker to run natively on top of the hypervisor instead of within a Linux VM: What’s New in vSphere 6.5: vSphere Integrated Containers - VMware vSphere Blog

(Sam Saffron) #43

The issue indeed had nothing to do with virtualization at all.

If you installed Discourse on any server that does not meet a minimum level of IO performance, there will be pain. Lots and lots of pain.

Be sure to read a few posts up.

(Robert Hudson) #45

Yep, agree. As I said, may or may not be the virtual stack. Underlying hardware performance will always have an impact, virtualisation, containerisation or bare metal.

What I wanted to do though was provide some people with resources they could reference if they do wish to consider virtualisation (of Discourse or other products).

(Sam Saffron) #46

I think what @joffreyjaffeux started working on with Discourse-doctor 👩‍⚕️ covers this, so once we have a good doctor on board we can integrate it.