Problems with docker 1.10 & kernel 3.13.0-76 kernel

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #1

I just ugraded an ubuntu 14 host to docker 1.10 and get this:

# ./launcher app rebuild
Device "docker0" does not exist.
Cannot connect to the docker daemon - verify it is running and you have access
# docker --version
Docker version 1.10.0, build 590d5108

apt-get upgrading all & rebooting haven’t changed this.

thoughts?

(Sam Saffron) #2

Some huge changes in Docker 1.10, can you make sure you raise this on https://forums.docker.com/ and link here maybe someone knows, have not upgraded our stuff to it yet, just about to try it on my blog.

(Sam Saffron) #3

my current fix for my “docker completely hangs after upgrade to 1.10”

• apt-get remove docker-engine
  • reboot
  • rm -fr /var/lib/docker
  • apt-get install docker-engine
  • ./launcher rebuild app

seems to be doing the trick for me …

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #4

#docker info

still fails for me, but what little I see is that there’s problems with docker & the 3.13.0-76 kernel

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #5

resetting the droplet to kernel 3.13.0-71 is allowing docker 1.10 to rebuild the container.

thanks!

I hadn’t understood that ./launcher's failure to perform was basically that the command docker info was failing.

(Sam Saffron) #6

Raised this ticket

(Sam Saffron) #7

Closing my docker issue, docker 1.9 to 1.10 is a painful upgrade, it’s just going to take a few minutes to spin through all images and calculate hashes for the upgrade

If you upgrade 1.9 to 1.10 on digital ocean expect multiple minutes of outage with very high cpu

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Can this be mitigated by running ./launcher cleanup first so there are less images to iterate through and re-hash?

(Sam Saffron) #9

Yes, definitely, that would help a fair bit

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #10

NB - I don’t know a ton about docker, but:

Could launcher test to see if docker is at 1.10+ and had containers without hashes? that might let a person know to wait a bit…

at the same time, my initial problem was that docker info was returning Cannot connect to the docker daemon - verify it is running and you have access … I wouldn’t think that’d be the error it gives while busy making hashes, and restarting under kernel 3.13.0-71 fixed me right up. So, perhaps two things are at play?

(Sam Saffron) #11

You have no access to docker while it is making hashes so I assume this can happen. Not too much we can do cause we can not predict when users will upgrade to Docker 1.10, I guess we can warn them on rebuild that a painful Docker update is ahead … not sure .

(omfg) #12

In theory this might help. Haven’t tried it myself.

(@SenpaiMass) #13

On my DO droplet after going for dist-upgrade. Docker has been upgraded to 1.10 . A quick ./launcher rebuild app made my site work again.

(ljpp) #14

I have not yet updated to Docker 1.10 thanks to this thread – @sam what is the current general recommendation? Should I upgrade or stick with 1.09?

(Sam Saffron) #15

It works fine, just expect up to 10 minutes of outage while it churns through images