Product feature - homepage design question

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask…

I really like the product feature page (Discourse features | Discourse - Civilized Discussion) of Discourse. It’s a nice balance of form/function. Do you mind sharing the name of the tool that was used to create the product feature videos? I’d like to replicate this for me own customers.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Hey, thanks! My tooling is very simple. I’m on a MacBook and I’m simply using the inbuilt software.

• For recording: QuickTime
  • for editing: iMovie

There are much better video tools out there, but I do these videos so rarely (and never do video editing otherwise) that putting money down for better software never made sense. Funnily enough, last time I checked Mac had the worst selection of movie editors. Windows has a few and Linux has a bunch of high quality free and open source ones.

Thanks for sharing. We have the same setup so that’s good news for me. I’ll look into iMovie.

Did you consider using gifs instead? My first thought would be that a gif would be more bandwidth efficient …particular on mobile.

(Felix Freiberger) #5

GIFs are terribly inefficient as a video format – they were never meant to store video, just animations with a few frames. Any modern video codec performs a few orders of magnitude better, especially on screencast-like material where most parts of the image are stationary: They only store differences between frames, which saves a ton of bandwidth :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Yes in fact I know one thing @nbianca was interested in, and I am too, is potentially converting GIFs to MP4s. I don’t think it should be a high priority by any means, but it is interesting.

(Felix Freiberger) #7

Yeah, that definitely makes sense. Twitter does it, too:

Thanks for sharing. I feel enlightened :slight_smile:

(Sam Saffron) #9

Agree, also … we automatically embed videos, so for example … if I drag this mp4 into the composer:

TADA… Same goes for external mp4 links.

One area I would love to see improved here is a “delay” on grabbing the video like we do for youtube.