Push notifications on Android (non-hosted sites)

android-app

(Shahid Khaliq) #1

Hi! I really like the new Discourse Android application but I think it kinda sucks that push notifications currently only work for websites which are hosted by Discourse. I can’t afford to purchase Discourse hosting at the moment. Are there any plans to make this feature available for people using other hosts?

Need digests to Everyone, regardless of whether they logged in or not
(Mark Wilkin) #2

I believe they’ve mentioned they’re considering a pay for service tier for email and the app for sites they don’t host. It’s something I’ve got my fingers crossed for myself.

(Sam Saffron) #3

We hear you and we are thinking about it.

In the meantime if you are interested in such a feature, reply here :slight_smile:

(Jeff Wong) #4

There’s a few official ‘push notification’ initiatives that have been implemented. There’s push notifications from the app, and from the other official plugin, which doesn’t require the app, but I’m assuming can be used in conjunction with it:

(Tom Newsom) #5

I hereby register my interest.

(@SenpaiMass) #6

I’m also interested!

(Felix Freiberger) #7

Yes, I’d love to see push working on my self-hosted sites :slight_smile:

(Alessio Fattorini) #8

Super interested! :heart_eyes_cat:

(gauthier) #9

Same here. Very interested

(Sly Do) #10

We self-host our forum with the open source code of Discourse. It would be great to be able to take advantage of this feature on Android.
Interested :point_up:

(Vinoth Kannan) #11

I’m also interested!

(Jeff Atwood) #12

This not a priority for us. If you want it, you will need to build it. So put the “pr-welcome” tag on this as appropriate.

Hey Sam,

Yes I am interested. Push notifications would come in very handy in getting users connected. Sometimes when you log in to a topic you get engaged when you find there exists replies from the early readers.

(Carey B) #14

I am also interested!

(OG) #15

Fyi i am Interested.

Greatly interested !

Interested in this feature!

(Shahid Khaliq) #18

I have a moderate amount of experience with Ruby and some experience with Java, none with Rails, Android or iOS. I would love to learn and contribute. I’d like to know why notifications work on Discourse hosted sites and why they don’t work on websites on other hosts. @codinghorror @sam I would appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction. Would it be possible to overcome the limitation we have with something like OneSignal? I’m thinking I would have to write a plugin which makes a call to their API for every notification and I would have to use their SDKs in the Discourse mobile apps. Will you guys be willing to allow such modifications to the apps?

(OG) #19

As I understand it reason is in licensing and providing hosted platform an advantage…

You need to have your own app for Android to enable pushing messages to client’s device (Discourse hosted smartly uses one app for all hosted forums). Then you need to create Discourse Notification -> Push Message Server gateway…

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/notifiers/notifications.html

So it is two more components you need to develop and maintain.

OneSignal sounds like great solution because it is cross platform as long as it stays free (and you never know).

(Shahid Khaliq) #20

Oh, so basically GCM/FCM allows you to link an app with only one back-end server? And currently the Discourse app can only receive notifications from the Discourse servers?