Questions concerning categories and sub-categories

(Lena) #1

Hi everyone,

How can I make sure that no one can edit categories or sub-categories?
Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

(cpradio) #2

Don’t make them an admin and make sure allow moderators to create categories is disabled.

(Lena) #3

Ok, thanks for that answer. So there is then no other way someone can change these (sub) categories?

(Lena) #4

where can I disable this? (sorry for these questions, but I am a bit overwhelmed by all the choices)

(cpradio) #5

Search Admin > Settings allow moderators to create categories

By default, that setting is turned off, so you probably don’t have to do anything. Moderators by default can’t alter Categories.

(Lena) #6

ok, and they can’t alter sub-categories?

(cpradio) #7

No, they can’t alter sub-categories either

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #8

For reference, a “sub-category” is no different from a normal category, other than being listed under another category. Anything you can do to a category, you can do to a sub-category. Also useful to remember is that permissions are not necessarily inherited. If you have a category with the “create” permission disabled for non-staff, a sub-category is by default “creatable” by non-staff, unless you change its permissions as well.

(Jay Pfaffman) #9

A cool thing to note is that your can search on the options page and it’ll match both the option names and their contents. It helps make it less overwhelming.

(Lena) #10

Ok and last question: how can I make sure that noone can open a post in a sub-category (basically closing that subcategory)

(Jay Pfaffman) #11

But quite sure what you mean. You can use permissions to make a category read only or unreadable. Does that do what you want?

(Lena) #12

Yes, well basically I don’t want anyone posting in that specific subcategory. they should only be allowed to read the topic of the subcategory but should not be allowed to do a post. it’s just for that specific subcategory though. all other subcategories should be used normally :slight_smile:

does this make sense? how can i make a subcategory read only?

(Jay Pfaffman) #13

For every category (and sub category) there is a security tab. You can set any group of users to be able to create, reply (can add to a topic, but not create one) or read (what you want).

You’ll need to delete the everybody line and then create a new one with just read permission.

(Lena) #14

cool - thanks! will check it out and might get back to you if I have further questions

(Kane York) #15

A category that doesn’t have everyone See in its security settings is said to be “read-restricted”. It sounds like you want something like #releases here on meta, so that would be “everybody See, staff Create/Reply/See”.