Quote button unreliable in iOS?

I think Discourse’s quoting UX is brilliant. However, I do find the quote button a little unreliable. Sometimes when I click it, nothing happens (and occasionally the button itself doesn’t pop up). A member reported this today, and then another member confirmed it was an issue for her too. I’ve also seen the issue myself.

All three of us are on iOS devices.

Update: an android user just responded to say the problem is not limited to iOS devices

I will try to grab the logs or look for a pattern when it next occurs. In the meantime I’d be interested to know if others were experiencing this? My forum is never more than a few days behind the latest Discourse release.

(Régis Hanol) #2

Having reproduction steps would help tremendously :heart_eyes_cat:

@zogstrip:

(sujato) #4

I have also noticed this. Using Chrome, on (pretty much) latest Discourse, I have had a similar bug intermittently for the past couple of months (?). I haven’t noticed any pattern, sorry, but it never used to happen on older versions.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Yes, we rewrote this code completely in the last 4 weeks, so it should be much better. Note that the topic is about iOS so let’s focus on that.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Note that landscape orientation isn’t a primary usage mode on phones, so repro steps that start with “be in landscape” are gonna be quite suspect.

Also the repro involves selecting text out of an earlier quote, which is already bizarre, and won’t result in correct quoting – quotes assume you are quoting the text in the post written by the user who submitted the post. If you “quote” an earlier quote that will be attributed to the user who submitted the post, not the user who was quoted.

Selecting a quote-within-a-quote is a bit Inception-y, and gets into “feature improvement” areas.

We need a cleaner repro that does not involve these two odd behaviors, simultaneously:

1. be in landscape
  2. quote an earlier quote

(Christoph) #7

[quote="ChrisBeach, post:1, topic:55855] Sometimes when I click it, nothing happens (and occasionally the button itself doesn’t pop up).
[/quote]

I also occasionally experience this on iOS (9.3.3) as well as on Android (Marshmallow), but it’s usually a matter of unselecting and reselecting (perhaps a couple of times) and then it works.

But the more serious issue I am seeing recently on iOS (iPad) is that I cannot select more than one word (and consequently quote no more than one word. The only way I was able to get the quote above was to do a full quote and delete what I didn’t want to quote).

This happens both in the discourse app and on Chrome and regardless of screen orientation.

And while we’re at it I might as well note that the iPads spell checker also seriously interferes with the ability to position the cursor without selecting a word, often forcing you to delete and retype a word. I solved this for be by turning off the spell checker, but I thought I’d mention it here.