"Quote Post" button should be disabled or raise an error when creating a new topic

(Jeremy Banks) #1

The first time I saw the “Quote Post” button I thought it was a <blockquote> command, and tried clicking it several times with and without text selected. It didn’t have any effect, so I assumed the button was broken.

If the user is creating a new topic, the button should be disabled/removed or should raise an error.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Agreed, it should pop an alert at the very least.

(Jeremy Banks) #3

I just realized that the button is also visible in the “About Me” form. In that case, there’s an error in the click event handler and the default action isn’t cancelled, so the page is reloaded and any unsaved data is lost.

(Jeremy Banks) #4

The occurrence of this bug mentioned in the OP – clicking the “Quote Post” button with no text selected – has been fixed. It now quotes the entire post.

However, this more-harmful behaviour still exists:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

@eviltrout can you make sure the “import post” button is suppressed on the user page when editing “about me”?

(I agree it is like a “lose all my work” button on that page if you happen to press it…)

Then I can archive this.

(Jeremy Banks) #6

Note that this issue is still unresolved; it still functions as “lose all my work” button.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Yeah good point @neil can we make sure this is not a “lose all my work ejector button” at least?

(Neil Lalonde) #8

I removed the “lose all my work” trap from the editor when editing About Me and creating a topic.

(Jeff Atwood) #9