Rails 4, non digest assets and capistrano

(Scott Carleton) #1

For those of us using Capistrano and upgrading to Rails 4, there’s a bit of a rude awakening when deploying for the first time.

Sprockets in rails 4 no longer creates non digested versions of assets. This is a pain for some of us and Discourse has a nice way around it (however it’s a major pain to realize that it was discourse doing this and not sprockets itself).

The problem arises when using Capistrano. Capistrano can only handle one manifest json file for rails 4 and therefore chokes when it has both manifest-RANDOM.json and mainfest.json in the shared/assets directory. Since capistrano 2 is at it’s end of life, there’s not a lot of support on their end.

When I have a moment I’ll dig deeper into why capistrano can’t handle both manifest files. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone else had run into the problem and had a solution.

(Sam Saffron) #2

ha … the simple fix would be to avoid “undigesting” .json files PR welcome.

We also want to get rid of all this busywork around digesting emojis, its totally pointless.

(Scott Carleton) #3

Dunzo. Avoiding double manifest files by ScotterC · Pull Request #1654 · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(Sam Saffron) #4

Merged in :slight_smile: I guess we can close this then

(Sam Saffron) #5

This topic was automatically closed after 1 day. New replies are no longer allowed.