Something that I have been running into for a while. At random, while scrolling, discourse will dump me at the top of a topic with no warning. This can be from deep in the topic, sometimes dozens of posts down. Has happened on Meta (signed in) and www.what.thedailywtf.com. (Not signed in.) Happens scrolling up or down. To be more precise:
- When scrolling, sometimes my position in topic is reset to post 1.
- There is sometimes a small lag, just enough to load the post if it is not in memory.
- Only happens when scrolling, ie vertical position has to be changing. Never happens when I am sitting still.
Win 7 pro.
Chrome stable (has been happening for some time, multiple Chrome releases)
Not tested in IE - I don’t spend enough time with it to know.
How I Scroll:
I use a lenovo trackpoint, in scroll mode. (Tap center button, get scroll icon. Push trackpoint to scroll)
I have not tried this with a normal mouse, (don’t have one) but the browser should be getting the same signals as if you hold down the center button and move your mouse
EDIT: Some quick googling suggests that this might be called pan scroll mode. I’m in the mode where:
- If I move the mouse down a little, I scroll down slowly until I get to the bottom of the page.
- Moving the mouse down a little further increases speed.
- Moving back up brings be to a stop.
- Further up, and I scroll up… etc.