One more support question for you. I have a forum setup a bit differently from the default Discourse setup: we have nginx in front of the docker container and connecting through discourse via web sockets. All works perfectly, no problem of any kind, and I can serve discourse from a subdirectory and other pages from other directories on the same site.
Anyhow, we have started receiving, since the latest Discourse update, reports of users getting a Network error message while browsing the forum. The error occurs most of the times only on mobile, but we have had sporadic reports of the same issue on desktop computers.
I tried to debug it in many ways for days, for example increasing Nginx wait timeout, for days, but the reports keep coming in. To make things a nightmare to debug, I do not get the error myself and I do not see any error in the logs (either withing discourse or in the outside’s Nginx installation). What I suspect is some aggressive caching on mobile browsers is causing this, but I cannot reproduce it yet.
The server is also quite powerful, as it is running on 16GB and on 8 cores on Digital Ocean. CPU usage and memory usage well below the acceptable limit.
I wanted to ask if any of you faced this issue recently and how you responded to it.
Thanks all for reading.