Raspberry Pi Hosting

Can I host with my Raspberry pi 4, and if I can how?

1 Like

Welcome.

Did you search? There are several post on this.

1 Like

Oh sorry I didn’t but I will!

1 Like

Well I saw what they said it won’t work, but is there any way to use discourse for free only using a Mac

1 Like

There is a dev install. See: Beginners Guide to Install Discourse on macOS for Development

This is not a production install. It will not send out e-mails. You could probably bend it into a production use but don’t expect much support help from others.

1 Like

FWIW, unless you already have a Raspberry Pi and all the needed accessories lying around… you can get roughly a year of hosting on Digital Ocean for the same price.

4 Likes

You can get free hosting from Oracle, if you jump through their signup hoops.

I’ve had an instance running that way for about six weeks now with no major issues. Rebuilds seem slow, 18 minutes for update to 2.5.0.beta6 (from beta4) from command line this week.

But daily usage has decent response with a small community.

One other note is I disabled all bots to avoid the traffic hit from those. Don’t know how significant that would be.

3 Likes

If the OP is like me you are missing the point. He likes to try and do the impossible or what people say can’t be done like running Discourse on a Raspberry Pi.

What he has not considered is code to convert from the x86 to ARM or a run time converter or emulator.

Story you can skip if not interested.

Many decades ago when cable was analog and TVs were not HDMI many though it was hard or impossible to descramble all the cable signals with one device. One day I found an articled titled Universal Video Descramber and knowing how TVs worked read the two page article and realized it could work. So I built the descrambler, got it working, tested it for a hour on different channels and signal types, then put it in a shoe box where it collected dust for a few years. When an old friend of mine learned I had not only read the article and build the device and had it working he wanted my help in building one. When I told him mine was in a shoe box collecting dust he couldn’t believe it. When I told him he could have it for the price of the parts he couldn’t believe it. For me it was more about learning than having.

EDIT

I just read the article I noted and while the theory and functionality is the same, this is a more advanced version than the one I built as this notes the use of PROM and the circuit design I used did not use a PROM.

1 Like

There is virtually no possible way to “disable all bots”.

The vast majority of bots on the net do not follow nor respect robots.txt and many bots disguise they are bots completely by both setting “non-bot” user agent strings and / or disguising “bot-like” behavior.

Only a handful of “well behaved” bots respect robots.txt and most all the rest do not.

Edit to add:

Also, login_required.welcome_message explains logins are required only to keep bots out.

This is a small server, and to keep bots out an account is required. We aim to be welcoming to humans. Please create an account or log in to continue.

Alternatively this can be done for only part of a site by making categories required for topics, then making most categories TL1 or higher, lower TL1 thresholds, then have some required README topics in meta that can get TL0 to TL1 quickly. Bots, because not logged in, don’t get to see much.

Yes, this keeps everyone who does not login (have an account) out, bots only being one subclass of this huge class of anonymous users.

@elijah you posted:

One other note is I disabled all bots to avoid the traffic hit from those. Don’t know how significant that would be.

You did not “disable all bots”, you disabled every device on the network which is not logged in; which because bots are not logged in, they are forbidden, like every class of unregistered user.

Of course, that is perfectly fine. We do this on all our staging and development sites; but the proper way to describe this, is more along the lines of:

We disabled access to all users who are not logged in.

Maybe it’s just me, but I do think it is important to be technically precise when discussing technology.