Read indicators! Yes! But they're not always clearing

(Lee_Ars) #1

First of all, thank you guys for the per-post read indicators. Excellent implementation of a great feature.

Now that they’re there, the indicators are highlighting a problem that I’ve been having on various Discourse instances for some time. I will occasionally run into topics where no amount of pausing will mark all the topic’s posts as “read”. Usually it’s the last 1-3 posts in the topic, but sometimes clicking the topic’s gray “old unread post” indicator will send me to a weird post in the middle of the topic.

After upgrading my own instance to the latest pull and gaining the indicators, I’m finding multiple topics (some with >100 posts, some with <10) where even though I’ve scrolled to the bottom, the last 1-3 posts refused to change status to read. Doesn’t appear to matter where I position the viewport—they stay blue. Hitting “Latest” shows gray “old unread” posts for that topic.

I can cause the posts to be read by actually refreshing the topic page—hitting F5 and reloading has so far always cleared the indicators.

I don’t really have a repro, unfortunately—I’ve been trying to find some commonality in the topics and my reading behavior, but there doesn’t appear to be anything other than “some posts in some topics sometimes refused to mark themselves as read no matter how long I stare at them.”

(Bill Ayakatubby) #2

I’ve experienced this once on meta too, but like you couldn’t find a reliable repro.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I’ve also noticed that the blue dot indicators not clearing is not always indicating the read flag is not set on the specified posts. It’s almost like the UI just stops updating.

No reliable repro though, but it usually happens with batches of posts in a topic, in various places, in the middle or at the end.

cc: @sam

(Dave McClure) #4

@riking had some insight into part of the issue in this other topic as well:

(Sam Saffron) #5

Nahh, still no repro, need to wait till it happens to me and then snope around the object model.

(Régis Hanol) #6

I may have a repro

• Open a topic with unread message and immediately switch tab/window
  • Wait a bit (so that we consider the window out of focus and we stop tracking read times)
  • Go back to the topic and read indicators will never go away

(Lee_Ars) #7

That might actually be it, yeah.

Apparently I read Discourse weird—I pop into latest, middle-click all the topics I want to read so that they open up in background tabs, and then work my way down the list. Having that many background tabs open might create the same type of condition as you’re describing.

(Sam Saffron) #8

I just fixed this, should work 100 percent of the time.

(Sam Saffron) #9