Reading time of a topic

(Pad Pors) #1

here on meta.discourse.org i’ve seen the Reading time and sum of likes in the preview of topic links:

such a thing doesn’t exist in our forum.

• is there a setting to activate it? or is there any condition for it?
  • can we show this reading time in the details of a topic? (next to other numbers)
  • how is it calculated? I think, I myself, have spend much more than 52 mins reading the topic-list preview post with a login-ed user. why does it show 52mins?

(Stefano Costa) #2

There are some details on the feature and its implementation here:

(Mittineague) #3

There is no way this estimated reading time can be precise.

eg. a couple of the many influencing factors
If a topic is of extreme interest I will likely read the topic more slowly to help improve my comprehension and more thoroughly to help not miss something.
If a topic is of less interest I will likely read faster, perhaps only skimming.

That said, the estimated time uses “topic word count” and the Setting

read time word count [default 500]
Word count per minute for calculating estimated reading time.

Does the average member read 500 words per minute?

(Pad Pors) #4

aha, I got it; it’s not the time producers have spent on the topic, but the time it may take one to go through the whole conversation.

the second seems more interesting, as it’s somehow a measure of topic-value to the readers&people who have discussed there.

if discourse is able to measure the words, it shouldn’t be hard to estimate the time people have spent on the topic. p.s.: one can neglect the large fraction of anonymous readers, as they haven’t created direct value to the discussion.

is such a value-producing-time interesting to others as well?