Recategorizing topics as an admin

(NomNuggetNom ) #1

This has thrown me and a few other admins off. Recategorizing topics is a little more complicated than it needs to be for admins. The problems I have with it are are:

• I don’t expect to have to edit someone’s topic to recategorize it (I always forget where it is…)
  • It alerts the users that I edited the first post, which is confusing for the user. I am consistently asked what I edited.
  • It doesn’t alert anyone else to the fact that I recategorized it.

I think it would avoid confusion to put it in the wrench menu, and post a staff message saying “I have recategorized this from X to Y.” All other topic manipulation tools play by these rules, so it would be logical and consistent.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

It is what it is… you need to understand that the first post contains:

• the topic title
  • the topic category
  • the first post

In other words, editing the first post is editing the topic, because the definition of a topic is the first post.

Also, the edit history for the first post does show all history of category changes, like so:

(NomNuggetNom ) #5

Are you saying the code-wise the first post is the topic, or are you saying that’s how it is intended to behave?

Either way I don’t see how it is logical not to have the option in the wrench menu. It just seems to fit there along with the other topic options.

And yes, I know it shows, but I still get asked what I edited.

(Kane York) #6

Neither. The first post isn’t the exact same as the topic in the code. But, the first post does define what the topic is about.