Registered User List

(Jeremy Kossen) #1

I would like to show all a registered user list in front end under a top menu ‘Member List’. I installed the plugin to do it and followed the instructions, however, in doing this through my localhost, I’m getting one problem.I just see ‘directory’ in my top nav. But when i click it it show the blank page … any ideas?

Flag User Profile, Not Just a Single Post
(Tobias Eigen) #2

I don’t have experience with that plugin, but it’s probably out of date so would rather suggest you lean on the badges feature to show a list of users.

And add a link to the top menu following this recipe:

(⛰️) #3

I agree. The one thing I did not enjoy about stock member lists is that it was this big huge list all at once and it could only be searchable via alphabetical order. Also, one has to take in account spam bots using that list as a free all-you-can-eat buffet if it’s not hidden from public view. However, I don’t know the output created by this member directory plugin (if it exposes emails at all).

(Tobias Eigen) #4

I agree it would be nice if it were easier to get more insight into the membership, even as a user. But on the other hand I think it is terrific how discourse focuses attention on the discussions and allows reputation and presence of members to surface as they contribute and help out on the site. If you have other community-building needs beyond that, I’d look at other tools to add to the mix rather than trying to shoehorn the functionality into discourse.

That said, I already use the badges to categorize and elevate members for various purposes, for example to showcase volunteers or board members as we do on Kabissa and perhaps down the road also achievements that go beyond the forum.

From the admin perspective it’s easiest to export the user list from time to time and to trawl it in a spreadsheet to make sense of it. :sunny:

Flag User Profile, Not Just a Single Post
(Jeremy Kossen) #5

Thanks for the input! I will try that…good suggestions!