Release targets?

(Adam Davis) #1

Do you currently have a plan for 0.9 and 1.0 release schedule, and what features you believe must be finished before these releases are made?

At what point do you plan on Discourse being stable enough that you encourage people to install it as part of a regular ongoing forum, rather than the beta release you have now which you are only suggesting be used for development?

If you don’t have a plan, list of features slated for a specific release, or a schedule, what can you tell me about your development process that will give me an idea of the roadmap?

We are running Ruby 2.0 in production
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Was this not covered in

http://meta.discourse.org/t/roadplan-for-discourse/2939/2

already?

(Adam Davis) #3

No, that provides a short term view, but I’m wondering if we’re looking at a “production ready release” in six months, a year, or two years.

I understand that estimation is hard, but setting goals and targets to help a project stay focused is common enough that you might have already given this some thought. I don’t want to nail you down so I can create another 6-8 weeks meme, but so I can get an idea of when I can think about blding a real forum out of this.

If stability of API and major core features is planned in six months, then I can start ramping things up now. If its not going to happen for a year, I better hold off until we get closer.

Just a ballpark answer will be useful.

(tmeusburger) #4

Hey @codinghorror, I would also find this information very useful. As it stands right now I have a community with no ‘real’ communication medium. No forum or their ilk, just a mailing list. I was looking into setting up Discourse since the community is mainly composed of tech users who would normally be early adopters.

If a ruff estimate for a stable beta build is 4-6 months out I would rather setup discourse and go through the early adoption woes than put something else more stable in place that I’ll want to migrate away from. I won’t take any timeframe as anything other than a ruff estimate.

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Well, here’s a little video documenting our current development process.

I hope that helps.

(Adam Davis) #6

Relevant to your design process:

(Nicholas Perry) #7

This makes me so upset.

Seeing this makes me rage at how less-than-diligent other people can be and the genuine disrespect they show toward their own (and more importantly other people’s) stuff.

fuu!

I want to start a new topic about this on try.discourse

I like your humor, but i’d like to know the est. release dates as well, as im sure many others would also.
I am currently thinking of switching from vBulletin to XenForo, but if Discourse will be stable enough in 6 months, i might wait and see what comes up from it first.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

It’s hard to predict, particularly because our priorities are, in this order:

1. Making sure our 3 partners are ecstatically happy.

2. Diligently support any engineers contributing stuff to Discourse (pull requests, install improvements, etc)

3. Make sure we are addressing any concerns or issues raised by other Discourse forum instances, and be very sure we are keeping them up to date with the latest code.

The current thinking is that over the next 3-6 months we hopefully will spin up all 3 partners, and working on scaling their communities and building out necessary features will benefit most other Discourse installs.

I can’t give a precise date.

(Daniel Watkins) #10

Does this mean that you have the partners in place? I’m guessing Ember.js is one of them…

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Not including discuss.emberjs, there are three other partners of which How to Geek will be the first, hopefully by the end of this month!

Is the alpha upgrade path going to be smooth?
(Jeff Atwood) #12

Check the releases category for information on the current, future, and previous releases.

We did not track release info prior to V1 though, as everything was in such flux.

(Jeff Atwood) #13