Remove email address from own profile page

(Richard - DiscourseHosting.com) #1

I was just looking at my own profile page, and I saw my email address there in the left column (between “last seen” and “trust level”).
So my first thought was, oops, I want to hide that. I went into preferences, (because that apparently is not just the place where I can set various preferences but also where I can edit my profile) and then I saw “Your email will never be shown to the public”.

Since I already know my email address, and apparently it is only shown to me, I think it would avoid confusion if the email address was not shown there at all.

(FichteFoll) #2

Experienced exactly the same when I visited my profile for like the first time.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Only you can see that. Check someone else’s profile, see if you can view their e-mail address. If you can, that’s definitely unintentional and should be reported.

(Richard - DiscourseHosting.com) #4

Maybe you should re-read my post.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

herpderp, late night replies. mmmmjeh, I concur, there’s really no reason for it to be on display there. I’m guessing it’ll serve as a point of confusion to far more people than it’ll somehow be of service to.

(Sam Saffron) #6

Interesting, I just had a look at Stack Exchange and they display it. I am not sure, I understand the confusion but there is also the opposite problem. When you return to a forum after a while you are more likely to notice your email and say … oops its the wrong one, I better change it.

I am not against showing / hiding this field for current user being a site setting, but don’t feel strongly enough about it being default on or off. cc @codinghorror

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Yeah email is rather critical to identity, as in

Which email did I use here? Where will I get my notification emails? Did I log in with Google or Twitter or Facebook again?

… so I believe it should stay.

(FichteFoll) #8

Maybe a small notice displaying “only visible for you”? Several … platforms do that, also on the profile view, via popup, via another label saying “this is private”, via graying the thing out or probably anything. I favor 2.

(Sam Saffron) #9

we can add something on hover, that would be fine … there is no room for a notice.

(FichteFoll) #10

I’m fine with that, maybe also slightly dim it to indicate that you can hover it to reveal more information?

(Richard - DiscourseHosting.com) #11

So it’s perfectly fine to display it on the email preferences screen. It’s already there, so it can be removed from the profile page.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

As safe defaults are always better, we’ve removed email display from the profile page for now.

The user/owner and admin can always go to their preferences to see it.

Eventually we’ll need to add a “request display of email” for moderators specifically, that logs the action to view the user email in the Staff Logs.

Email addresses no longer visible in admin pages

The email display is there in my profile and still feels insecure with no notice that says no one else is seeing it.