Remove unactivated users

(probus) #1

Is there/should there be a way to remove user accounts that haven’t been activated within a a certain time period?

I find that people sometimes register accounts with a wrong email or username and instead of changing those they simply reregister leaving the old account unactivated. Or their activation email doesn’t arrive fast enough or at all (especially a problem with hotmail) and they try another, leaving the old one behind.

It isn’t a huge problem, but those account come up with search and @name mentions.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I think this is a really good idea and I do want to get to this.

(Daniel Gagnon) #3

It might be a good idea not to show unactivated account in mentions. I’d even extend that to lurkers (people who never posted a single message).

(Mittineague) #4

Quite a few years ago I registered at moz dev, but only looked around and didn’t post.

When I eventually went back I got an “error” and after contacting via email was informed that my account had been closed due to nactivity - they quickly reactivated it.

Cons:- imposes a hurdle to legit users, more Mod work
Pros - eliminates the need to worry about “seed” accounts

IMHO a realistc post or re-authenticate time window has more benefit that than negative effect
(especially for tose only joining to Profile SPAM),

(Daniel Gagnon) #5

It’s about clearing the accounts of people who never responded to their activation e-mail, not of those who don’t post.

I would flush them out in 24h. That way if you typoed in your address, you can still claim your username after a day rather than having a ghost holding on to it.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I know this is a mild feature request, but if it is easy (and I think it is, just a query run on a schedule basically) can we implement it this week @eviltrout?

I would think deleting these users after 7 days should be more than safe enough, if we can make it a site setting without difficulty (I know the scheduler can be weird for settings), do that too.

(Robin Ward) #7

I’ve implemented this, along with a site setting to customize how often it happens (default is 7).

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Can you also confirm that user profile pages don’t show up for unactivated users? e.g.

/users/foobar

should not appear until foobar validates.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #9

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/9a1580244a547f373eeca98f46229f3f5a0beb84#diff-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

(Robin Ward) #10

Yes I also made that change. They also don’t show up in @ mention searches.

(Jeff Atwood) #11