Rename "+new topic" and "+reply" buttons to "post new topic" and "post reply"

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Some of my users have expressed confusion at the blue + New Topic button, which is what you select to submit your new topic after you have written it. It is identical to the button you push to start the new topic in the first place, and they spent some time hunting around for the button to submit the form. The suggestion is to rename this to “post new topic” or some such. Same thing for replies.

To quote:

Just a small suggestion - I think it is confusing that the button to post a new topic (below the text box where you write the new topic) is labelled ‘+ New Topic’ - could we change it to ‘Post New Topic’ perhaps?

It’s just that it looks the same as the button you press to start working on a new topic - the first few times I posted a new topic I didn’t realize that it was the post button and spent a while searching around before I realized. And then yesterday, [another colleague] did the same thing. Is there a way to change it easily so it says ‘Post’ or ‘Post Topic’ perhaps? If not, I’m sure we’ll learn the habit, but I just worry that other new users will also find it confusing…

"New Topic" buttons
(Lisa Wess) #3

Have you seen this discussion?

I agree with you - the word choice is confusing on topics and posts is confusing.

(Tobias Eigen) #4

Thanks, Lisa! I’m not particularly interested in getting into that other discussion, but I would like to hear more from @codinghorror about the design decision to make the submit button identical. Since they appear on the screen at the same time and with a different purpose it’s confusing. Also here for replies.

(Tobias Eigen) #5

I just noticed that when you edit a post, you get a “Save Edit” button at the bottom. This wording would work for me too - change this button to read “save reply” or “save new topic”.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I just can’t recall ever getting this feedback from any other site. I would need to independently hear this from at least one other place otherwise it is a sample size of one problem.

(Kane York) #7

Sounds like a prime candidate for string overrides :wink:

I’ve just received the same feedback from several of my users. Turns out they thought they had already posted because their message was showing in the compose window at the bottom of their screen - they did not realise they had to hit the + new topic button!

I agree, it is confusing. I think a ‘save’ button would probably make more sense to users.

String overrides - yes please!!

(Kane York) #9

Actually, try sticking this in <head>:

<script>
I18n.translations.en.js.topic.create = "Save"
</script>

(Tobias Eigen) #10

A nice idea but no dice - changes the + NEW TOPIC link at the top of pages to + Save.

(Kane York) #11
I18n.translations.en.js.composer.create_topic = "Save"

Awesome, thanks Kane, that works!

What would be the syntax for changing the ‘reply’ button? (or is there a reference page for all text content where I can look this up?)

(Kane York) #13

Actually, do this:

in your browser console, I18n.enable_verbose_localization()

edit: Seems it broke, it’s not logging the translation keys to the console!

Thanks Kane, I used this which is working perfectly:

I18n.translations.en.js.composer.create_topic = “Save”;
I18n.translations.en.js.composer.reply = “Save”

(cpradio) #15

@codinghorror

We’d now like to request the copy be changed too. A quote from one of our users shows that using the same name becomes an accessibility issue.

(Jeff Atwood) #16

We did hear this a few times and I felt the case was strongest on topic, so New Topic was changed, on the initial editor, to “Create Topic”.

(Melissa) #17

I am interested in changing the reply button text to make it clearer to my users what they are doing. I saw this article but am unclear on where to make the suggested change.

(Daniela) #18

In your admin panel, click on Customize > Site Texts and search for js.composer.reply, then change the text as you want.

(Melissa) #19

Thank you so much! That worked great.

(Tom Ruh) #20

Do you know where I can find all of the “editable” configurations in this class? Such as changing “New Topic” to “New Article”

(Daniela) #21

Search for js.topic.create

Note that you can also search by text, for example “new topic”.
Obviously you will find many more results, but the name of the strings is quite easy to understand and then you can exclude those that have nothing to do with what you are looking for