"Replies" button spawns new tab but doesn't show replies

Apologies if this has been mentioned before (searching for “replies”, with quotes, gave me a bunch of results with singular “reply”, so I wasn’t able to verify whether I was duplicating another post).

I was just reading a blog post on Coding Horror. One of the comments had a “3 Replies” button beneath it. I clicked that button, and it popped open a new tab. After the page finished rendering, I looked for the replies I was expecting and didn’t see any. In fact, it seemed I had just been dropped somewhere, and I felt lost.

After flipping back to the original tab, I realized the new tab was in fact showing me the same comment I had just read, but seeing no replies indented beneath made it seem like it had scrolled me to the wrong place. Eventually, I figured out what had happened. It performed a “continue discussion” for me and auto-scrolled to the same place in the conversation, but it did not open the replies box.

This was my first experience trying to actually interact with Discourse (beyond just reading comments), so I know I’m just a n00b who hasn’t figured out how stuff works yet, but I can’t think of a good reason not to actually show the replies.

I’m not sure if this is by design or a bug, so I tagged it “ux” for now. I should also mention that this was in Firefox running in Windows 7.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

You are talking about this

Clicking replies there

http://discourse.codinghorror.com/t/because-reading-is-fundamental/2793/7

simply puts you on that post in the corresponding full discussion; you’d need to click “replies” again to expand it there.

I guess the link could auto-expand the replies for you.

(Kane York) #3

Yeah, this feels like a pretty annoying UI bug with the embeds.

Yes, that’s the one.

Yes, I think that would be a nice improvement, thanks.