Reply by email for private messages

(Chris D) #1

Hi, I feel sort of stupid for posting this, but am not sure how to approach this. I enabled the option to allow email replies to topics and it works (for the categories). I basically set up separate email addresses in MS Exchange for each category in Discourse that I wanted to enable email for, and then forward those into one main "forumsreply@mydomain.org" email address**. Email replies to topics has been working fine. Now, I encountered something I didn’t plan yet…email replies to private messages.

So I got an email notification about a private message that she sent me…

I reply to the email and got the bounce-back below…

Would each user need to forward their registered email address to the same "forumreply@mydomain.org" email address that I have set up to receive replies from other forum categories? This doesn’t seem how it should be… Am I missing something :smiley:?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

This has zero to do with categories – category email settings are about creating new topics via email. Which I do not recommend enabling unless you really know what you are doing.

This is basic reply via email. Did you follow the howto here on setting up reply via email?

(Michael Downey) #3

I’m confused. Should people be able to reply by email to PM notifications that arrive via email? (Please say yes.) :slight_smile:

(Chris D) #4

Yeah, I am still working on this. I have reply via email working fine, when someone gets a notification about a reply to a topic, he can reply and the message goes back into the forum topic. However for private messages, still not working. I found an older topic related, but cannot tell if email reply to private messages is supposed to work or not.

(James Milligan) #5

Could this just be a typo? You mention "forumreply@domain.org" at the top of your post, but your screenshot has "forumsreply@domain.org" - have you created one but configured Discourse with the other, perhaps?

(Michael Downey) #6

I can tell you that it does work for us … I just hope it’s supposed to work and that it doesn’t go away. :slight_smile:

(Chris D) #7

Just a typo when typing my topic :slight_smile:

(Chris D) #8

@downey can you give me any tips about what I should be checking? Again, replies to topics is working but replies to PMs are not :frowning:

(Michael Downey) #9

Probably related to the use of Microsoft Exchange for … anything. :slight_smile: I’d recommend a more traditional email account. We use Google Apps (gmail) with great success.

AFAIK Exchange doesn’t (well) support using the plus symbol for reply keys so you’re likely to run into problems.

(Kane York) #10

Yes, I can confirm that this is supposed to work.