Reply by email requires reply at top

(Peter N Lewis) #1

There seems to be cases where the reply text is not processed correctly. My reply (by email) resulted in a mostly empty message appearing in the forum.

The first email is the email I sent, the second is the email Discourse sent out, matching the forum display, and showing only the initial line of my reply. Perhaps the quoting confused it?

Including quote from email notification breaks reply
Option to force email context
Migrating from Google Groups
(Jeff Atwood) #2

You cannot enter replies below, that is not supported for reply via email at all.

(Michael Downey) #3

Some support desk tools that do e-mail in processing say something in their notifications like “Write your reply above this line” so people are forced to top post (not reply inline) and bork the system. Maybe that’d help prevent this error?

Comparison of Discourse vs. Wiki vs. Blog
(Sander Datema) #4

I really wouldn’t mind a line like that.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Sure, @neil can you add this to our list? Since replies must be at the top, if reply-via-email is configured, we should say that at the top of the email.

Anyone got any good examples of emails that say this?

(Michael Downey) #6

Here’s something adapted/redacted from Zendesk that isn’t bad and reminds them of the option to reply on the web:

##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Reply to this email or click the link below:
https://discourse.example.com/t/replay-by-email-not-processed-correctly/16983/5

Original Author ( Affiliation )
May 14 10:37 AM

Bacon ipsum dolor sit amet strip steak turkey hamburger ham hock kevin pork belly beef salami beef ribs bacon ribeye capicola landjaeger shankle meatball.

(Peter N Lewis) #7

Ahh. Really? Huh, I was sure that worked previously. That’s a shame.

OK, thanks for the info, that will take some educating of users.

That’s kind of upsetting. Could we work to adopt a system that’s more similar to what github uses? That allows people to reply inline and turns it into blockquotes. Seems like it would help out discussion, and feel less restrictive and instead “do what they mean”.

(Does oneboxing not work for github? I tried to put a link to the repository at the bottom too but it wouldn’t onebox

(Jeff Atwood) #9

That’s hilarious since we actually already use the same email parsing library as GitHub.

Could be they moved to something private that works better.

Looks like its been modified a ton though: GitHub - SamSaffron/email_reply_parser: A small ruby library to parse plain text email content to return only the reply. and since then Github has added the code to support inline replies. I’m not sure why it was forked in the first place, but the github version does seem like its still being maintained, and has some more new features, possibly addressing the reason it was forked in the first place.

(Sam Saffron) #11

It was forked cause it was abadonware, during 2013 and only picked up dev afterwards.

The fork contained stuff we needed that was not upstreamed.

Glad to revisit this if you want to work through it.

I’ve always wanted to contribute, but I’ve never really had the Ruby chops to do it. I’ll poke around and see if I can’t reconcile the feature sets though. No promises, but I’ll try my best.

(Nukeador) #13

@nightpool did you get the chance to work on this?

A lot of people is used to write below the quote, in fact some email clients are configured this way by default, which I feel it’s more clean when reading emails and their previous context in the correct order (not backwards).

Nope, sorry :frowning: Real life stuff intervened.

(Massimo Gorla) #15

@nukeador @nightpool inline replies are an estabilished habit for several members of my community. As I’m working to start using Discourse as a replacement of Google Groups this feature should be added.

Anyone?

Migrating from Google Groups
(Sam Saffron) #16

We want to improve this, email handling is a focus for @techAPJ for the next release

(Jeff Atwood) #17

@apoelstra I did not merge your duplicate report, but here’s the feature request.

(Alessio Fattorini) #18

It’s also an habit of my community. Please add inline replies support :-\

(James Milligan) #19

I posted an accidental dupe yesterday, so this is me and my community adding our backing for this. It’s kind of a blocker for us adopting Discourse wholesale over our existing system.

(Arpit Jalan) #20

Now that we have switched to Github email_reply_parser library, inline replies should work. Added a test for this feature:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3012

Can anyone please confirm if this feature is working as expected?

Replying to emails