Reply not disabled if topic closed while viewing

(Jay) #1

Continuing the discussion from When topic is closed, you can still invite someone to reply:

Ok, in that case: Raising it as a separate issue (originally I thought it might be the same bug).

If viewing a topic and it is closed by someone while you are viewing it, the reply buttons at the bottom and in the closing-post are not disabled. Even if you are not already writing a reply, the buttons allow you to start composing a new one.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Provided something sane happens when the reply is submitted, I think this is OK since a close is relatively rare. If we have forums where, say, every third topic is regularly closed we can revisit.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I just tested this on try and the current error here is pretty terrible though.

You will see the topic close message (assuming you are at the bottom of the topic) but you can still type in a reply. When you try to save the reply…

So @Neil we really should improve this. It might be complex to disable every single reply button on the topic including those not loaded yet, so maybe just make reply do a ‘saving throw’ check when it is clicked and confirm the topic is still reply-able before opening the editor?

I think it would be OK for users to complain “I click the reply button and nothing happens / I get an alert!” versus “I entered a whole long reply and could not save it!”

More elegant solutions also welcome but I don’t want to spend a lot of time on an edge condition.

(Neil Lalonde) #4

Yeah that’s bad. I fix.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

We also need a much better error at minimum in case you had the editor open while the topic was closed.

(Kane York) #6

Was this ever fixed? Can’t test myself at the moment.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I do not think we have improved this yet.

(Neil Lalonde) #8

No this hasn’t been fixed yet.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I believe @techapj fixed this, in that replying to a closed topic produces a sane error message now?

(Arpit Jalan) #10

Yes, replying to a closed topic produces sane error message. Was fixed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3277

(Jeff Atwood) #11