Reply to topic triggers "New topic" alert

(Lee_Ars) #1

Using a git pull done this morning to get up to the latest code; dashboard shows 0.9.3 installed.

Posting new topics correctly triggers the “New topic” alert in the topics view, so no problems there. However, replying to topics also triggers the exact same “new topic” alert. Repro with pictures:

1. Top level topic view, no new posts. The thread I’m going to be posting to (using another account in a different browser) is the first one in the list, “A topic to have some user data available”

2) With another user in a separate browser, I post a reply in that topic. Rather than badging the thread, the new topic alert is triggered (and, as an aside, it also says “1 new topics” plural instead of singular)

3) Clicking the alert dismisses it, and the updated topic now correctly displays its “1” badge.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Can you reproduce this on http://try.discourse.org ?

I think we might start requiring repros on our installations just because there are so many variables around configuration.

(Lee_Ars) #3

It did it on meta just now, with this very topic!

(Jeff Atwood) #4

OK good to know, we’ll fix.

(Lee_Ars) #5

Replying to trigger again, just in case you happen to be watching :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I am almost always on a topic, and rarely the topic list, so it’s unlikely I would see it. I use “suggested topics” to move from unread to unread and new topics as I go.

(Sam Saffron) #8

This is actually by design.

I wanted the /latest tab to alert you of both “new” and “unread” topics. Thing is, the unread topic could be so deep in the list badging it becomes pointless, it could be not visible on the screen.

Additionally, simply “badging” it does not correct the ordering.

The text though “1 new topic” should be improved … it really should convey that there are N new and unread topics. (pluralization bug aside)

(the use case for this “notification” style is that you can just leave that tab open and always get notified of any activity you are potentially interested in, otherwise you need to keep both unread AND new open)

(Lee_Ars) #9

That makes sense, @sam. I suppose simply auto-reorganizing the topic list without any user intervention would be pretty annoying, since topics would be flying all over the screen on a fast-moving forum. That would probably drive me crazy :smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Is there any reason you didn’t change the text to at least say

There is 1 new or unread topic

So we don’t confuse people and waste everyone’s time?

(Sam Saffron) #11

I will change, its just annoying and involves touching a pile of files.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

I believe @riking fixed the copy here.

(Jeff Atwood) #13