Require Log in to Post Job Opportunities, a publicly visible category

(Doug Harman) #1

Our site is ‘open,’ i.e., anyone can view / read the content. We’d like to require sign in AND pre-approval in order to post jobs to the Job Opportunities category. A step in the right direction is to specify ‘role’, admin / moderator, and ‘badge’ level. However, our ultimate goal is to only permit job posts by pre-approved company HR personnel and recruiters in order to prevent trolling.

As an alternative first step, we could create a private category and ‘invite’ users to participate. But, I don’t think that makes the job posts publicly visible.

I could also make it a category only editable by admin and staff and handle the posts ourselves. But, that could get rather time-consuming.

Ideas regarding a work-around appreciated. Thanks, Doug

(Doug Harman) #2

Thinking further - how about the ability to create custom permissions. In Job Posts, for example, we could give the right to create posts to ‘whitelisted’ users.

(Sam Saffron) #3

So why not create a group for these users and only allow this group to create topics in this category?

(Doug Harman) #4

I’m not familiar with that feature. (You only installed Discourse for us a week ago.) Where do I learn more? Thanks.

(Sigurður Guðbrandsson) #5

The admin guide on categories gives you a great start - discourse/ADMIN-QUICK-START-GUIDE.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(Doug Harman) #6

In Categories ‘Security’ I have the ability to set permissions for admin / staff / moderators / and trust levels. I don’t see anything about creating a group. Thanks, Doug

(Jeff Atwood) #7

See Admin, Groups for creating groups.

(Sigurður Guðbrandsson) #8

To make it supersimple for you, I created a video on how to do this and shared it on youtube.

(Doug Harman) #9

Jeff - Thanks; makes sense now. Doug

(Doug Harman) #10

Thanks; I’ll watch it tonight. Doug