Requirements to run the Android App

android-app

(Daniela) #1

Can someone make a list with mandatory requirements to run the Discourse App for android (in #howto category) ?

E.g, HTTPS is a mandatory requirement or not?
My site is on v1.7.0.beta5. Should I upgrade to the latest version or not?

I’m asking a list because I have an error everytime I try to Connect my site (HTTP).
Thanks

EDIT: error fixed, chrome missing…:sweat:

(Jeff Atwood) #2

The app should provide more feedback here if Chrome is missing @sam

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Can you clarify what device you have? We will definitely fix this, but we’re curious why any device with Android 4.2+ would not already have Chrome on it, as it is supposed to be included with all recent Android operating systems.

Hmm maybe it’s Android 4.4 @sam that was released September 2013.

Does Chrome for Android now support the embedded WebView for a hybrid native/web app?

A Chrome-based WebView is included in Android 4.4 (KitKat) and later. See the WebView overview for details.

(Daniela) #4

A [quote=“codinghorror, post:3, topic:52762”]
We will definitely fix this, but we’re curious why any device with Android 4.2+ would not already have Chrome on it, as it is supposed to be included with all recent Android operating systems.
[/quote]
Ehm…

Galaxy S2 I9100 with android 4.1.2 …

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Ok so your current device is on Android 4.1?

That’s… not good

Current android version distribution stats say

4.1.x is 5%, 4.2.x is 7%, 4.3x is 2% since they don’t break it down individually…

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #6

But you can install Chrome if you want right? Or it doesn’t even install?

(Daniela) #7

Sure, I installed Chrome and all works ok. The problem is that the app should tell me “hey idiot, you need Chrome to run this app” and not only close the app with an error :stuck_out_tongue:

Not all the new or recent devices have Chrome preinstalled and/or someone can remove it preferring other browsers.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #8

So the fix @sam is doing will tell you that, so this will be covered. Thanks for the info!

(Stefano Costa) #9

See also this “bug report”:

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Yeah looks like you can remove Chrome on some devices, even if they are 4.4 or later (the version where Chrome became bundled).

(Sam Saffron) #11

I bumped our reqs up to API version 18 and up.

https://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-4.3.html

(Nukeador) #12

Is there a way to make it work without Chrome? I don’t want Chrome in my phone.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #13

No, that is not possible. The app will not work without Chrome Stable:

(Pad Pors) #14

Sorry for my confusion, but are the Android and IOS app for meta.discourse, or are they also available for other forums using discourse forum?

is the installation something like this: Add to homescreen banner on Android ?

If they are available to other forums as well, is there any howto for setting them up?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #15

You just download the app, and then add any Discourse forum by the URL.

(Nikos Roussos) #16

So I need to install a browser to use an native app. That doesn’t sound like a good design choice.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #17

Who said it’s native? The main drive was getting push notifications of multiple boards, in a way that worked on iOS and Android.

Why is there a Discourse app?
(Nikos Roussos) #18

Whatever gets installed as an App outside a browser it’s native on people’s perception, regardless the underlying technology.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #19

Outside of a few apps (looking at you Facebook) most apps on Android rely on Chrome or Android WebView (which relies on Chrome). Why should an app come with a custom browser when phones already come with perfectly good browsers?

(Nikos Roussos) #20

That’s not true. I don’t have Chrome installed and never an app complained about that. Android WebView and Chrome are not the same thing.

Yes, but that’s not always Chrome. Not all Android phones come with Chrome preinstalled.