Resources for creating a new plugin

(Cameron Wong) #1

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I’m fairly inexperienced with this forum/etc.

A friend of mine (@jakedwhitaker) was asking me to help him with his forum, so I was wondering - Is there any sort of official documentation for creating a discourse plugin? From trolling around on google, I did find danneu’s tutorial, but that link gives me bad gateway (repeatedly, across multiple browsers); I was hoping there’d be another helpful topic or other on these boards, but they all seem to link back to that one.

I have glanced through the source of existing plugins, but I’m not finding that to be suuuuuper helpful (potentially because I’m just bad).

Any assistance would be appreciated, thanks!

(Sam Saffron) #2

What are you trying to achieve?

(Cameron Wong) #3

I was going to attempt to create a plugin for collapsible text boxes (as has been discussed multiple times, as according to a google search/searching on this forum); I’ve used the temporary < details> solution with html, but it doesn’t work on seamonkey and I was hoping I could use a javascript plugin to make it more portable and easier for the forum’s users.

Beyond that, I was hoping there’d be some kind of general “this is what you need to do” thing I could follow for future endeavors (we’re polling our forum for ideas at the moment)

(Sam Saffron) #4

Why not just fork the spoiler plugin and amend it to suit your needs

(Cameron Wong) #5

We were hoping to be able to implement both (now that I think about it there’s no reason we wouldn’t be able to), but I’d still question whether there’s any further resources for plugin devs.