Results missing from search

(Robert Lauriston) #1

These search results

http://foodtalkcentral.com/search?q=favorite%20pizza%20%40robert%20category%3A5

do not include the post I was looking for

(Sam Saffron) #2

This is by design. We restrict the search results to 1 result per topic:

Is already included …

Note @rlauriston strong recommend you upload some logos on food talk central, the sketchy logo is sketchy…

(Robert Lauriston) #3

Ah, OK. “favorite pizza” @robert finds the post.

(Christoph) #4

Oh, that explains some things! Can this somehow be made more transparent to the user? For example by changing the top of the results list to something like “X results for (showing one post per topic)”?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Could this be a site setting so the site owner can set how many results will appear max from each topic, rather than being hard coded to 1? I could see 2 or 3 being useful in some cases.

Alternately advanced search could expose this somehow in the GUI?

(Sam Saffron) #6

It’s a change we could make, but it is not a trivial change at all, would require quite a bit of internal redesign to allow for this. Gut estimate, 2-3 days to get this working perfect and be configurable.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Eh, fine to defer for now. But I too was not aware of this “only 1 result per topic will ever be returned” search rule.

(Sam Saffron) #8

If @dmacjam can swing infinite loading (or at least the ability to at least get at a few hundred results as opposed to only 50) then we could probably just junk the “aggregate” search code.

(Christoph) #9

Might that not lead to one or a few topics dominating the top of the search results in some cases?

(Sam Saffron) #10

Possibly, yeah there is no easy answer here, we could push dupes to the end I guess.

(Christoph) #11

I think the quick fix is to let users know what search results they’re seeing, but infinite loading is certainly worth a try. Maybe here on meta, to see what it does in practice?

(Jeff Atwood) #12

Adding more confusing needs-to-be-read-and-interpreted text to a page does not make it better for users, so that’s no “quick fix” for anything.

(Sam Saffron) #13

Does nothing to solve the OP though cause in his case he had 8 results and a few dupes in a topic were missing.

There is no simple solution here.

Search, reorganize results with magic algorithm that pushes topic dupes to the end may help. But the edge case of more than 50 non-aggregate results just kills you anyway.

I am just deferring on this for now… other :blowfish: to :sushi: