Retort - a reaction-style plugin for Discourse

Great :blush: and many thanks for sharing. Iā€™ll check it out.

1 Like

Hey folks, Iā€™ve just

a) completely rewritten the Retort frontend to better take advantage of the new widget system (Now Iā€™m not embarrassed about the choices Iā€™ve made!)

b) added limited emojiset support (giffed below)

Thereā€™s some detailed instructions on how to get set up with limited emoji sets in the readme as well.

Feel free to pull it down and have a play, and let me know how it works for you. :beers:!

Iā€™ve thrown it up on my test instance, so you can have a play with it there before installing it.

7 Likes

Looks good @gdpelican, however you cannot test it out on your test site, sign up and no email confirmations are sent.

Not sure why, but this plugin seems to break the ā€œtopic-areaā€ on android for some reason.

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'retorts' of undefined

Reproducible on http://discourse-babble.com/ using an android device.

Desktop and iOS are unaffected, so it did take me a while to figure out!

1 Like

Whoa, that is a nasty one. I guess I should have known there were some android-specific hacks laying around since Discourse is so much slower on that platform.

On not android:

On android:

^^ :confounded:

Anyway itā€™s fixed now. :sunny:

5 Likes

Hm, Iā€™ve just successfully created a new account on there now; maybe give it another whirl? I can see emails going through.

1 Like

I finally got the email, not sure why the delay. Some feedback - you should allow a reader/user to vote once, and if they pick a different reaction, you should remove the 1st one. It just let me pick each of the 6 reactions.

I know that is how slack worksā€¦ Facebook seems to have gone the way you described, only permitting one.

have updated the plugin, and set limits to the number of emoji.

but in the forum, when i click on the emoji set, it shows all of them and not the constraint ones. i got no error.

any idea?

Can you send me a screenshot of what your retort settings look like?

1 Like

something like this:

Tough to say; those are the exact settings on discourse-babble.com at the moment, and it appears to be working there. Any other oddities I should be aware of with your instance?

1 Like

Iā€™ve just added a site setting which allows you to toggle wether a user is constrained to one reaction per post or not.

7 Likes

no idea myself.

iā€™ve tested it on local. and have topic-list-preview plugin installed, as well as vote-plugin. at the moment i donā€™t have access to the localhost, but will check it out again next week and let you know if i can find any related-log or other information.

p.s.: i checked the plugin action using the admin account, should the admin see what others may be able to see in the emoji-list?

Are you on the latest version of discourse? That feature relies on a commit in core which was merged yesterday, so it has to be bleeding edge beta to function properly.

4 Likes

Although this is a nice idea, the plugin seems to be quiteā€¦ unpredictible for my setup, and that for few reasons:

1. When you hit the add retort icon button, there are a lot of times when the screen is dimmed but no icon selector is shown (no errors in console either)
  • I tried to enable it several times, and while some day used to work, few days after (after an update) it crashed badly. How badly? Enough to make the forum unusable.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s Discourse fault (that is changing internals) or Retort fault, but for now iā€™ll just stay away. :cry:

Hm, well, Iā€™m sorry you feel that wayā€¦ of course Discourse has moved quite quickly and this plugin has been broken at times, but with the latest refactor itā€™s actually quite stable ā€“ thereā€™s not really much code here ā€“ and the new widget system is designed to make this particular thing quite easy.

That said, if thereā€™s a reliable, reproducible bug that you can find with the latest version, I want to hear about it. :palm_tree:

6 Likes

FWIW, I havenā€™t heard any complaints from my members and Iā€™ve had this plugin installed for a while now. Itā€™s not buggy, though sometimes I wonder how useful it is for promoting engagement or improving communication. Itā€™s a great plugin! :rocket:

One feature we miss is being able to see who has also clicked on an emoji to join in that reaction. Only the first few users are displayed for each emoji, unlike say the like :heart: feature which lets you see everyone who likes a post.

4 Likes

Oh well, it seems i had the ā€žluckā€ of trying it out right on those few times when discourse api didnā€™t matched the retort api.

Iā€™ll check it again in few weeks, hopefuly I wonā€™t have the same bad luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, updated to the latest version yesterday and tried the plugin. let me check this again next week and will update you in a week.