"Roll up" translation

(Marco) #1

I don’t understand the meaning of “roll up”.
Can you please provide examples or synonyms?

Context strings:

• Are you sure you want to roll up ban entries?
  • There was nothing to roll up.

(Régis Hanol) #2

First of all, I have to say that I created these strings and as a non-native English speaker they might not be proper English.

Rolling up means that we iterate through all the banned IP addresses and create IP subnets (ranges?).

For example if there are the following banned IP addresses: 1.2.3.4, 1.2.3.5, 1.2.3.6, 1.2.3.7 and 1.2.3.8; we will automatically roll them up into the 1.2.3.0/24 subnet (ie. 1.2.3.*). We also do that for /16 subnets (ie. 1.2.*.*).

Does that help?

(Marco) #3

Perfectly clear, thank you.

(Gerhard Schlager) #4

I never came across “roll up” in the context of ip addresses, but I’m not a network guy…
Could we change those strings to something that’s more self-explanatory? Maybe something like “consolidate IP addresses” or something else that better describes what will be happening?

Maybe we can use some terms from here? IP Address Calculator

(Régis Hanol) #5

Pinging @codinghorror ^^

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Roll up is correct. I will edit the expanded dialog confirm copy to clarify what is happening.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

OK I changed the confirm to

roll_up_confirm: “Are you sure you want to roll up commonly screened IP addresses into subnets?”

(Eric Vantillard) #8

for the french translation what about “consolidation” ?

(Régis Hanol) #9

That’s what I use in French :wink:

(blaumeer) #10

I’m fine with roll up, but I’m used to see aggregated / unaggregated (into subnets). See for example:

https://www.team-cymru.org/Services/Bogons/http.html

The Text Bogon List, Unaggregated
This is the list of bit notation bogons, unaggregated, in text format.
Updated as IANA allocations and special prefix reservations are made.
The Text Bogon List, Aggregated
This is the list of bit notation bogons, aggregated, in text format.
Updated as IANA allocations and special prefix reservations are made.

(Anton) #11

Another synonym that might be easier to understand might be “group” (as a verb).