RSS feed of all posts in a category?

(Howard) #1

Forgive me, I’m just a user of a site that uses Discourse and have a question that my site administrators don’t seem able to answer. The site offers RSS feeds of Latest Topics and Latest Posts for the whole site and also Latest Topic Of A Category, but no feed for Latest Posts Of A Category. Is this possible? It’s a restaurant talk site and uses categories as cities, so Latest Post of everything is too much volume, and Latest Topic of City shows a question, but not a conversation (which might be very long lived).

I saw that Discourse 1.4 added “Latest posts RSS feed” so I’m guessing a global one was added but not a per category one. Any chance this could happen? I’m a programmer, but not a ruby/rails one but might take a crack at it if given a little direction. Thanks.

(Mittineague) #2

Hi hmelman, welcome to the forum

But there is eg.

https://meta.discourse.org/c/support.rss

In fact you will find that many if not most pages do have rss views (try appending “.rss” to the URL)
* you can also try appending “.json” to the URL to see what Discourse sends out

AFAIK currently there is not a way to get all posts in a category. But I think it might be possible with a plugin,

(Howard) #3

Thanks for the reply. If I’m not mistaken, your example URL shows all the topics in the category support which is as I described it, “Latest Topic Of A Category” but not “Latest Posts Of A Category”

Here are the feeds that Reeder can find given the URL of the page showing the Boston category at the site I’m interested in:

So just “appending ‘.rss’ to the URL” gives me latest topics, not latest posts. Is there something else I can try? When you say “might be possible with a plugin” do you mean using an existing plugin (which one?) or by writing a new one?

(Mittineague) #4

Ah, I see what you mean
The category RSS is of the OPs of its latest topics

To get latest posts you need to go to the topic’s feed eg.
https://meta.discourse.org/t/rss-feed-of-all-posts-in-a-category/36256.rss

None exist that I know of, but I think one could be worked up.

(Howard) #5

Right, and subscribing to each topic in my RSS Reader isn’t viable.

So, I’m not sure if this is a feature request or a bug report. Is the existing Latest Topics in a Category actually useful in some situations? I don’t think it is in my board’s case. Should it be changed to be Latest Posts in a Category (making this a bug report)? Or should a new URL be added to support this (making this a feature request)?

(P.) #6

Did this feature get developed? I too am very interested having it available.