Running a competition via Discourse

(Daniel Hollands) #1

I’m in the process of gathering together a collection of prizes that I want to use to help promote activity within my community.

I figured, seeing as I want to reward posts of quality (and not just who can post the most spam) it could be based around the number of likes your posts get. I’m thinking that each like one of your posts get, you get a ticket for the prize draw, or maybe the person with the most liked content wins, etc…

This raises a couple of questions:

1. How can I find out who has received likes within a specific time frame? (Or maybe, likes made on posts within a specific time frame?)
  2. Are there any ways in which such a system could be taken advantage of?

Further to this, I’d be interested in hearing what competitions/other methods forum owners have use to promote activity. Cheers.

(Anton) #2

That’s what we tried and it ended up all users liking a lot each other during the first half of the competition period, which was useless and stuffing likes counters.

We put the forum in the read-only mode for a few minutes when we started, and copied likes counters.
We’re going to do the same when the competition ends.
Shouldn’t be a problem if you set start/stop time when everyone is sleeping :wink:

We tried to let users compete on reaching a particular level. This was useful in that it combines a lot of things people have to do to get there, which is beneficial for your forum and can be called “activity” altogether. However, we ended up it was very difficult to explain to the end users what exactly they should do and how they can see their progress and how everything is counted, so we just gave up on this idea.

We’re now thinking about:

• most invitations who reached a particular level
  • most viewed topic based on google analytics (will let users post links here and there and share with friends)
  • most liked image (media is much better than text even if it’s spammy but still attractive).

(Daniel Hollands) #3

I have a number of trust level 2 members that want to know what they need to do to get the trust level 3 - and I have no idea what to tell them. I normally link them to What do user trust levels do?, but this isn’t as good as something which shows, say, progress bars showing what they still need to do.

Unrelated, but I was discussing this idea with someone last night, and they’ve suggested there isn’t much that I can do to promote activity, but instead should focus more on getting more members. It’s something which I’m able to directly control, and the side effect (one would hope) is that they’ll contribute towards the community.

(Mittineague) #4

We’ve had this discussion. It was decided - for now at least - to not give any specifics.
What I usually say is.
“Stick around, read a whole lot, make a good post from time to time, and you’ll be there before you know it.”

(Daniel Hollands) #5

Right now, out of the 170 odd members on my forum, only two are TL3 - and one of them is me :wink:

(cpradio) #6

That isn’t all that surprising, we have over 100,000 users (really our count is higher than 200,00 – not sure how many are actually “active”), and only 19 users who are TL 3 (all which are Staff of some sort).

We do have a few members who are right on the edge though to making TL 3.