Running other websites on the same machine as Discourse

(Coin-coin le Canapin) #239

Thanks again for your reply. :slight_smile:

Well, I think nginx reads my discourse.conf since it threw an error when this .conf was referring to inexisting files. But it doesn’t seem to redirect for some reason.

I’ll keep searching…

(Bhanu Sharma) #240

I think the opposite! because the file seems configured correctly and I don’t see a reason for it not to resolve back to discourse.

(Coin-coin le Canapin) #241

Hi, I indeed had to do some more stuff found on Installing Discourse With Plesk Onyx (Ubuntu 14.04) I guess. I edited my app.yml to uncomment the two lines from expose and changed the ports to check from 80 to 8060 and 443 to 9443.
Then I added these rules in Plesk:

Now I have a 502 bad gateway error.

(Bhanu Sharma) #242

For the expose to work, you also need to enable the web template and disable socketed template.

- "templates/web.ssl.template.yml"
- "templates/web.letsencrypt.ssl.template.yml"
# - "templates/web.socketed.template.yml"`

(Coin-coin le Canapin) #243

Hi, by uncommenting web.ssl and web.letsencrypt and commenting web.socketed, I have now:

# This page isn’t working

**forum.canapin.com**  redirected you too many times.

edit : thanks to a friend and after a bit of configuration of which I don’t get a thing, my Discourse is working now.

(Raphael Jolivet) #244

Hi,

I am just doing a fresh install of Discourse.
I am very surprised that :

• The setup script does not simply allow to setup on a different port, disabling SSL support, and then it’s up to us to do reverse proxy as we want (Apache, Nging) : It seems such a common setup, it would save hundreds of hours of life to humanity
  • I am even more surprised that the setup redirects us to an outdated forum topic, in which we need to dig for the proper information, instead of a proper documentation page, kept up to date.

Thanks guys anyway for your work, but I think there is room for improvement here.
Cheers

(Vincent) #245

Agreed, but Discourse is not expected to work on a non-standard port.

The installer may propose another default installation scheme with no port exposed, no SSL/Let’s Encrypt, and the socketed template actived by default (cf. OP’s howto).

For me, it has been the fastest way to achieve reverse proxy with an external nginx, and it would be cool to be able to bootstrap Discourse this way.

(Michael Friedrich) #246

I don’t think that this really is a common setup, using a proxy up front is an advanced topic imho. The docs are pretty clear about it that you should start with a bare VM, still I agree that it should list 80/443 as a requirement for the setup wizard.

Editing docs on Github is a breeze, just done via browser.

If you want to help enhance the wizard, the source can be found here:

(Jay Pfaffman) #247

The setup script is designed to help people who are not system administrators install discourse. One who does not know how to edit a yml file to change the port has no business trying to configure a reverse proxy setup.

(Raphael Jolivet) #248

Well, I don’t agree with that :
I don’t think anyone who does not know how to edit a yml file nor has basic system admin skilsl would be able to setup discourse anyway.

I followed the tutorial saying to use this nifty script : I would expect it to handle the basic cases.
I think adding support for reverse proxy is usefull anyway.
I will do a PR for this soon.

(Bhanu Sharma) #249

The basic case is to get discourse up & running!! The script does it just fine.

I disagree. Adding reverse proxy makes it more complex to manage the installation and will not be a piece of cake for hundreds of self-supported installs that don’t understand why they need a reverse proxy.

(Raphael Jolivet) #250

Adding a question like :

Do you want to install Discourse behind an existing web server ? If so enter the port number [NO]

would be too much complex you think ?
My intention is just to add this question and change the port mapping depending of the answer.

(Bhanu Sharma) #251

And my intention is to make you understand that if someone wants to do that, There are instructions readily available.

./launcher bootstrap app

should probably be enough who want to do any changes to the yml themselves.

(Raphael Jolivet) #252

Ok.
I lost half an hour on this, I really think hundreds of other people also did lose quite a bit on time on this (given how gigantic and outdated this instruction thread is).
But if you don’t want help on that, I have others things to do.

Cheers.

(Bhanu Sharma) #253

It is a wiki! if You feel like instructions are outdated, feel free to update them accordingly.

(Sebastian Mühlich) #254

Hello
I had the same problem with Plesk.
And could solve it as follows:

Docker Ports:

expose:
         - "8060:80"   # http
          - "9443:443" # https
  • Discourse setup was standard with Docker.
  • Let´s Encrypt takes over Plesk.

The problem was. If you make 2 entries in the Docker proxy, only the last one will be written to Nginx.conf.

Why manual?
Because the following entry is important for SSL:
proxy_set_header x-Forwarded-proto HTTPS;

Otherwise you won’t be able to log in.
CSRF error

I hope it was understandable with my english :slight_smile:

I am German and cannot speak English so well. So excuse me.

(Marcus Ottosson) #257

Just wanted to share how I accomplished this, it was a little easier than I first thought.

From an already running machine, with Caddy acting as a reverse proxy for a number of existing Docker containers already.

1. Clone discourse as per the official instructions
  2. Copy /var/discourse/samples/standalone.yml -> /var/discourse/containers/app.yml
  3. Fill in SMTP settings and website address
  4. Comment out 443:443 from the expose: section
  5. Replace 80:80 -> 3001:80, 3001 being the port I’m serving via Caddy
  6. Run ./launcher rebuild app
  7. Done

Whop!