S3 backup error logs?

(Dan Dascalescu) #1

Is there a way to test that S3 backups are actually working, on demand (i.e. not by waiting for the backup to occur given its configured frequency, because I know that won’t be working)?

I don’t see any errors at /admin/backups/logs, but my S3 bucket shows only one backup from February, even though I’m pretty darn sure I had automatic backups set up and checked they were working.

Due to this incorrect S3 config I’m trying to debug, I’m also running into this issue (despite the fix):

Rename "s3 disable cleanup"?
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Do the cleanup of old archived Ubuntu kernels as well. Assuming you followed our official install guide and have automatic security updates enabled.

(Dan Dascalescu) #3

Thanks, that helped remove a few hundred MB.

The problem is that manually initiated backups end up on S3, but automated daily backups don’t, and I don’t know where to look for any logs. /admin/backups/logs only shows the log for the manually initiated backup, and /logs seems to only include frontend logs.

Duh. Just set the backup frequency to daily, then set the UTC time to a few minutes ahead of the current time.

Did that, and there was no backup uploaded. So manual backups work, automatic ones don’t. How can I troubleshoot this?

Max number of local backups ignored
(Alan Tan) #4

Hmm we are not handling this correctly for automated backups.

The system user triggers the backup and the logs are sent to itself at the end.

I think we should send the logs to a topic in staff category or perhaps send a PM to an active admin on the site.