Safari post error in 1.2.0.beta1

(Travis) #1

When creating a new post in 1.2.0.beta1 in Safari 8.0 Yosemite, the form fields go blank as if experiencing significant lag. However, the minimum character count continues to tick, so it appears to be some kind of visual error.

I’ve tested this on two different MacBook Pros. Chrome works fine on the same machines.

Notice the title and the character count at the bottom.

On Max OS X 10.10, cannot see the topic when creating it
Topic title field doesn't update as expected in response to user input
(Travis) #2

After some further testing, it appears to be limited to the title field. Very strange.

(Joe Seyfried) #3

Can anyone confirm this? I currently hesitate to press the update button - is there an easy rollback, btw?

(Sam Saffron) #5

Lucky I have 200% access here :slight_smile:

I have a repro, its severe, once we get it fixed tomorrow I will look at backporting to 1.1.

(Milen Dzhumerov) #6

Don’t know if it’s relevant but I was also able to reproduce every time on OS X 10.9.5 using both Safari 7.1 and Chrome 38. Both Discourse v1.1.0 and v1.2.0 were affected.

(Sam Saffron) #7

I have not seen this happen in Chrome ever and the actual bug seems to be clearly in webkit latest. your issue is very likely unrelated.

(Sam Saffron) #8

This issue is crazy and it will NOT be backported. Instead pressure must be applied on Apple to fix this.

@awesomerobot may have a workaround cooking, but I object to us pulling it into our stable branch.

If you stop floating $("#reply-title") everything works as expected. Its a bug inside WebKit. Start floating the INPUT and it breaks.

This must be reported to Apple, if somebody can help us do so it would be great.

(Sam Saffron) #9

We merged:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2959

by @awesomerobot that fixes it, however … this really is an Apple bug.

(Sam Saffron) #10