Scroll Problem with How to Geek Forum / Chrome

(Bcguy) #1

I’ve been exploring How to Geek DIscourse implementation since Jeff told me tonight that its a good example of a site thats using most of the Discourse features as they come “out of the box”.

I’m new to that form (and not registered) but When I click on a lot of the forum links (I’m using Chrome Version 29.0.1547.76 on a Macbook Air 13) they open up at the end of the discussion - at the very bottom, frequently with no visible post at all. This seems like a bug.

For example - here is what it typically looks like when I click on a representative link:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s106/sh/e94eb651-2248-4224-b301-241daec168f0/9ee4a6918a4b37b8d5771c352ed1c94c

(Bcguy) #2

Other times it just opens the link in some (seemingly random) place in the middle of the series of posts:

as here:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s106/sh/dfc08942-c7db-40ea-bc86-bd64d31a1e69/089e3204750ae512c74728dbdd16b6c6

(Bcguy) #3

And still other times its just a blank page:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s106/sh/816f9b99-589a-4167-93b4-4ea97f2ee1af/e977e48cafd395c63fd13871d46ff331

(Bcguy) #4

In all these cases I can scroll up to the top and read the entire set of posts - its just that the software is throwing me into different areas of the page.

(Alexander) #5

I have been seeing things like the first and third screenshots, Chrome 29 on OS X 10.8.4.

The second one, however, is probably Discourse taking you to the last post you haven’t read in that topic.

I suspect the bug in the first and third screenshots is related to that Discourse behavior, and maybe Chrome’s getting in the way?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

If you are unregistered, then topic links should take you to the first post in the topic – we don’t track read state for unregistered users.

I believe some people have reported this behavior (random page positioning when entering topics) in Chrome with OSX but we cannot reliably repeat it, and I have no access to any Macs.

Definitely does not happen for me in iOS safari, or Windows Chrome.

(Bcguy) #7

Yes - I’m unregistered on that forum, have never been to it until now (and have not read those topics or posts before) - so its what a new “visitor” would be seeing when they first come to the site and clicking on some of the links. Its a really bad “introduction” to the forum, to be thrown randomly around in the topic/post set.

Its very repeatable on my system - its true for almost all messages I click on in the How to Geek forum.

I’m on IOS 10.7.5.

(Seventoes) #8

I’ve been seeing the issue from the first screenshot fairly often on my forum as well, in Chrome on OSX.

(Alexander) #9

I just noticed this happening on Github: when scrolled partially down a repo’s main page and then clicking to the Graphs page, which is a shorter page than the repo’s main page.

My hunch is Chrome doesn’t notice that the content has changed via pushState, so when the new content shows up, Chrome positions it with the scroll’s position-from-the-top that the prior content had.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Are you still seeing this?

(Bcguy) #11

I just tested the discussions on how to geek.com, clicking on about a dozen topic discussion links - and no longer see the issue.

(Sam Saffron) #12