Search box. Results are no longer selectable with Up / Down arrow Keys

(lid) #1

Now
no item is selected, up / down do nothing

Before
first item was selected by default, and up/down keys would allow selecting next or previous result.

(Mittineague) #2

This may have something to do with @cpradio 's work on the keyboard shortcuts.

Does tabbing work?

(lid) #3

Yes using tab does work.

(cpradio) #4

This isn’t a bug, it is intentional. The up/down broke the basic functionality for keyboard users. Tabbing is the desired effect as it allows you to now access Show More (which was impossible before) and you can access the remaining search results now as well…

(lid) #5

oh, just when I start liking the up/down you took it a way from me.

I actually wrote a conceptual code that allowed tab users to select show-more as well and maintaining the up/down arrow functionality.

(Sam Saffron) #6

tab is working way better then the old up / down arrow did, its also far more discoverable as its consistent across the site.

(Sam Saffron) #7

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Looks like @sam is reopening this can of worms; bouncing this topic so he can see it.

(Sam Saffron) #9

(Sam Saffron) #10

I just added support for up/down again, the trouble with tabbing is that it is fairly slow to move to the result cause you need 2 extra hits on the tab key.

So both tab and up/down work now. I did confirm and it seems amazon and imdb do the up/down arrow thing so it should be fairly safe.

(cpradio) #11

Yeah, so long as both work, I’m more than happy :slight_smile:

Prior it was impossible to do both.

FYI, just tried it here on Meta, it works great! I also appreciate the up/down and then using tab, starts tab at where the up/down indicator was. Very nice.

(Sam Saffron) #12

I refined it further today, it is far more seamless and uses the same focus mechanism.

I also made it so if you hit a when a result is highlighted it adds it to the composer.

(Sam Saffron) #13

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.