Search not... searching?

(PJH) #1

Was after a topic on here and the one non-generic word that I remember from the post/topic was ‘canary’:

Nope - it’s not there. Then, considering the topic I was after involved testing, I added that:

The yellow one was the one I was after - I’m wondering why it didn’t appear in the first search?

(PJH) #2

… and after making that post…

o_O

(David Maxwell) #3

That’s the same problem as identified here. Different title since Jeff thinks it’s an issue with “Show More”

(Jeff Atwood) #4

@eviltrout can you have a look? I agree canary is fairly narrow, but Google confirms there are at least 8 topics with that word here, which should be triggering show more.

(Dave McClure) #5

You had it all wrong. Just ask @sam. You should have been searching for ‘cannery’ :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Produces 9 results, 1 more than Google:

Google results:

So something is clearly jacked with the in-page search, hopefully this is a good enough repro to finally get some fixes going cc: @TechnoBear @cpradio

Also thanks @PJH this is a really good consistent repro of the issue, so hopefully we can make more progress on it.

(cpradio) #7

Yes, thank you. I honestly hope with the work Sam has done we can compare the two methods and figure out why in-page search is misbehaving. I’m all in favor of fixing in-page search until this dedicated search page is ready (and I’ll start to try and dig into this part of the code later tonight/next week – if no one beats me to it; but I may be getting in over my head again…but I like challenges).

(Robin Ward) #8

Just deployed a tweak to the search that should improve things. Canary comes up with the rseults you’d expect.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/e8cade40c7f7fa1aeb8df3ec5f38f4c3ee05adfb

(Jeff Atwood) #9

TL;DR for everyone:

Oddly enough, the drop-down search was only searching the first post and title. But! And this is a big but!

If you had enough results from that initial search of just first post and title to trigger show more (5+), SHOW MORE would then, and onnnnly then, search all posts.

It’s been that way since forever, which is clearly wrong… so now all posts are searched all the time.

Thanks for your patience on this and sorry for this extremely weird bug that we’ve apparently had since forever…

Should search prioritize recent topics over older topics?
Show More not being displayed in search
(Jeff Atwood) #10