Search results hidden behind edit window

(Tobias Eigen) #1

I often find myself searching for things on the forum as I am posting, and get into a ux bind. The “create new topic” edit window is in front of the search results, so I can’t scroll down the search results and find what I am looking for without first closing the edit window, which I then have to reopen after searching. If it’s possible, this issue would be helped by having the search results appear on top of the edit window. The same is true for all of the menus, though with search the results are much bigger so it’s not possible to shrink the edit window down enough to see it all without closing the edit window, with the others you can.

(Sam Saffron) #2

I really want this fixed, but have no idea how to go about it.

Ideas anyone.

(Mittineague) #3

That happened to me just yesterday. I ended up minimizing the editor.
Maybe some kind of “search open minimizes editor - search closes editor reopens”?

Sounds far from ideal, but it might work.

(Sam Saffron) #4

yeah it really bothered me on the laptop. I have a workaround, will muck with z-index when an expansion happens and restore old after.

(Sam Saffron) #5

This workaround solves the problem for now. Not ideal but very functional.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/7ae72dc2ff3ee7b10e27de7efd221b6b7ce32b2e

Its a nice “wide” solution to the issue, we need footer in front otherwise you can size the composer behind the header which is terrible, but here we temporarily move the footer behind the header while the notifications / search etc are open.

Watching/Tracking/Regular/Muted drop down stays open