Search results need a visited link color

(Andy Routledge) #1

The search results need a visited link color.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

That might be a problem, considering there is zero visited color right now:

a[href] {
  color: scale-color($tertiary, $lightness: -20%);
  text-decoration: none;
}

a[href]:visited {
  color: scale-color($tertiary, $lightness: -20%);
}

(Jeff Atwood) #3

It’s also problematic because the visit state would only be for the topmost post.

If you enter a topic at the bottom, for example, you never touch the main entry link, so it is unvisited, e.g.

/t/topic-title-goes-here/1234
/t/topic-title-goes-here/1234/12

So I think it’s more correct in this case for us to say that visited/not-visited link colors aren’t particularly reliable for the way Discourse works.

(Caue Rego) #4

That would still be ok for the search result, though, as you’d get the same link for the same keywords for a little while.

Anyway, how about a “unread mark” then?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Well, maybe, search can deep link to posts depending on where the hit is, too.

You’re right that Discourse knows exactly what you’ve read at all times, so we do have the information.

p.s. thanks for that telnet tip on the mail troubleshooting howto. That helped me, and I updated the howto.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I have been thinking lately that if we have this information – the fact that you’ve read all the posts in a topic and your current read position is at the end of the topic – we should show those topics in a grey color, eg:

Where the grey indicates I have “completely read” those old topics. In practice it is OK to assume that if your last read position = last post in the topic it is completely read. cc: @sam

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Server-side visited state is now done, but I don’t know if search results respect it @sam

(Sam Saffron) #9

Its still suppressed there I can see if I can join the search results, its a bit tricky though cause semantically its a bit different.

If you search and find post #2, read #2 BUT have other posts in the topic you have not read is it visited or not visited?

(Tom Newsom) #10

The original thread is locked, so I’ll mention this here - how come there’s no “10 months later” between Jeff’s posts that start “Well, maybe” and “I have been thinking” but there is a “19 days later” afterwards?

I saw similar behaviour on another thread recently - a long time gap ignored, then a shorter gap highlighted immediately after.

Feel free to move my post and unlock that thread if it’s worth discussing…

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Due to deleted posts in between.

(Wes Osborn) #12

Do the changes listed in this thread have something to do with why the lock icon is now blue on closed topics in the search results? The icon seems to be gra(e)y everywhere else.

(Kris) #13

hmm yeah we should fix that on the search results page — the lock icon also hovers like it’s an active link, but you can’t click on it

(Sam Saffron) #14

This is done now:

we may want it a bit stronger, don’t know … @awesomerobot your call

(Jeff Atwood) #15