Allow users to see trust level 3 progress on user profile

Yes, we are discussing both of these. A bit worried about the spammers as discussed in other topics. We’ve seen them sign up in our ID system and the come to other tools to spam … although not yet with Discourse, so maybe we’re safe to do so.

Unfortunately not really. We’re providing the data but it’s @zogstrip that is doing the actual migration.
I’m currently having a conversation about importing some kind of post count indicator so that everyone doesn’t start off at the same TL. That doesn’t make sense for an established community migrating to a new platform, especially if you want to get the buy in of existing members.

Just make sure you fill in the name as well as the username :wink:

I believe the issue is a bit different when you are actually migrating content to a new Discourse instance rather than starting from scratch. Indeed, if you have enough data, trust levels will work as expected.

Is possible to get this from the API?

I couldn’t find any function to get it :confused:

55%20PM

what does this mean… “Will be promoted soon.”

When does this take effect?

Pretty sure that job runs daily - so within 24 hours.

7 Likes

so, I followed up on this and asked a bunch of the community where they thought they were and i had too many responses to ignore…

i had to manually move 4 or 5 folks to Trust Level 3 as a result. Is it possible that this may not be “firing” (a’la a job) every day?

Nope, it is working – no reports of otherwise.

1 Like

Maybe you are affected by the group setting “Trust level automatically granted to members when they’re added” which, if I recall correctly, will then lock the user in at that level.

1 Like

I believe this page only accounts for manually locked trust levels; it does not (yet) have a special display for group membership trust level.

Though I would think that a group giving TL2 shouldn’t prevent TL3 promotion.

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, is this feature feasible as part of core? I’m starting to see a this request from users on a few sites. Basically, there are folks who are wanting to get to TL3 but are trying to determine the time commitment required to receive and maintain it.

3 Likes

I don’t think of TL3 in terms of “earning” it. To me it’s more a recognition of participation.

Have you asked, or have any expressed why they want to be TL3 members?

If they want a title as a type of “badge of honor” maybe allowing them to have “Member” as a title would satisfy them.

5 Likes

Good point and question. I think it has to do with them having reached TL3 at one point and then losing it. They became aware of interesting topics in the Lounge and want to maintain that access.

But since these are on sites I don’t actively participate in or own (just an admin for development purposes), I’m not in a place where I can reach out for more info directly.

7 Likes

I’m not sure whether the intent of this original feature request was for admins to be able to see progress, but I would also like to request that the users themselves be able to see their stats.

We have a whole program built around TL3, which we call super heros, that nurtures them with perks and because people can lose this status it creates a lot of extra work for our team to reach out with a screenshot of the admin dashboard.

Is there any plan for this to be visible (or option to toggle it on visible) for users? What about some sort of leaderboard feature focused on getting to TL3 - I haven’t searched for plugins or whatever to see if this is already out there so if there is a good one someone knows of please let me know. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic is a little muddled with extra stuff that’s not particularly relevant to the feature request [1] , but I think this point is still pertinent:

I think someone else on a related topic also made this point:

There is the new Discourse Gamification plugin that can incentivise people to participate, and that has a leaderboard element to it, as well as configurable scoring too (you can see ours here Leaderboard). It’s not connected to Trust Levels though, so may not be suitable for your programme as is.

Though you can also get a fair idea of how close you are based on your user directory record. If you pick ‘Quarterly’ it should give you a reasonably close set of stats for the last 100 days (give or take 10 days or so :slight_smile: ).

1. it may be worth a fresh one :slight_smile: ↩︎

2 Likes

I am torn on this, cause the alternative is moderators needing to field the “I am not TL3 … tell me why?” PMs. Fielding this is mega annoying.

The downside of a “secret” recipe is:

1. Really for 99% of the sites it is not secret, cause nobody fiddles with the site setting, so you can just figure this out from places like about page etc…

2. It feels like you are playing a “game” where the rules are opaque and arbitrary. Giving this feeling to the most trusted users on a site comes with a bad taste.

Maybe this should be a “site setting”. Maybe our default here is not right.

4 Likes

I recommend that some information be published for users about if they are making progress towards #3 or a notification about if/why they have been demoted to #2, but not specific details like “you must post # more topics to be promoted.”

With some sites if people are posting a lot of new topics every day many people may not want to look at 25% of that which is the requirement for #3, so unfortunately this can mean not the most trustworthy folks may take over the third tier.

If it is possible for this to be done with a color gradient or pie chart that would be ideal, to express just if someone is 20% on their way to tier #3 or at 78% progress would be helpful for people to know what ballpark they are at.

1 Like

A very interesting suggestion popped up that I really like:

Make this visible to specific groups… then you could set it up so TL3 members can see TL3 requirements and support TL2 better on this journey. I like this a lot cause it avoids a lot of the pathology that @neil mentioned.

3 Likes