Selection quote reply is broken on Samsung Galaxy S4

(Matches) #1

Whatever latest stable version of android and chrome 38.0.2125.102

(Dave McClure) #2

I have noticed this for a long time… maybe forever.

It often doesn’t pop up the quote reply button for me but sometimes it does. Usually it pops up after I adjust the selection by moving either cursor though.

Sometimes I have to cancel the selection and re-select the text for it to pop up.

Chrome on a Nexus 5.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Works fine for me on Android latest, Chrome, Nexus 7. No repro. You may have to move the selection a bit, but remember that tapping any reply button with a valid selection is also a quote action.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

ditto for Nexus 7 latest Chrome Android beta, you do need to move the selection slightly after starting it.

(Matches) #5

Your selection indicators show you aren’t on the newest android version. You’re on n-1

(Michael Downey) #6

I have the same blue selection indicators and I’m using Android 4.4.4 (latest) on a Nexus 5.

(Dave McClure) #7

And what behavior do you see?

(Michael Downey) #8

Exactly the same (correct, more or less) behavior as @codinghorror. Judging from the first screenshot from @Matches, he is not using a stock Android distribution, because the icons in the top status bar (battery, wi-fi) aren’t stock Android 4.4, nor are the text selection pointers … so it’d be useful to find out the OS details.

(Kane York) #9

Hm, I’ve been seeing this behavior with Chrome Beta 38.0.2125.102 / Android 4.4.4; Nexus 4 Build/KTU48P, but I don’t have those selection handles. Are you using L Preview? That’s a prerelease and therefore might contain experimental unstable stuff that’s breaking this. (chrome beta also falls into that category)

(Matches) #10

It’s Samsung s4 galaxy, stock

(Michael Downey) #11

Anyone else running TouchWiz-flavored Android that can reproduce this?

(Jie Shuang) #12

I can repro it. Galaxy note 2. You have to enlarge the selection to get the button. Also, the highlighted text is broken, but I can’t paste a screenshot from here, or maybe because the account is new?

Edit: the latter. So I uploaded it to imgur like some kind of caveman: Imgur