Set up Discord notifications with the discourse-chat-integration plugin

Can you try refreshing the page? A refresh will be required after enabling the plugin.

3 Likes

I see it now, thanks!

he guys. getting a error setting up this plugin with discord. channel created. webhook setup with the plugin.

now i get the next error.

and when i send a test. i get this error.

and the logs give me this.

any help would be appreciated.

Can you share the contents of the “info” tab for this? If you can copy/paste, that would be great - it’s hard to read logs in a screenshot.

1 Like

Message (2 copies reported)

Test provider failed {:error_key=>nil, :message=>{:content=>"", :embeds=>[{:title=>"FAYN Rule Book [Alliance/Announcements] ", :color=>12525102, :description=>"[image] \nFAYN is a group of Corporations working together as a collective to grow both the individual and the group within this set of guidelines and rules. \nAdministration Tools\nAs part of FAYN you are required to have  ALL  of your characters, however insignificant linked to your main character on SeAT  This is part of the recruitment requirements and supports the ongoing management of our corp...", :url=>"https://forum.darksideoftheeclipse.co.uk/t/fayn-rule-book/45/1", :author=>{:name=>"@PJHustle", :url=>"https://forum.darksideoftheeclipse.co.uk/u/PJHustle", :icon_url=>"https://forum.darksideoftheeclipse.co.uk/user_avatar/forum.darksideoftheeclipse.co.uk/pjhustle/45/4_2.png"}}]}, :response_body=>"<html>\r\n<head><title>403 Forbidden</title></head>\r\n<body>\r\n<center><h1>403 Forbidden</h1></center>\r\n<hr><center>cloudflare</center>\r\n</body>\r\n</html>\r\n"}

Backtrace

/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-chat-integration/app/controllers/chat_controller.rb:43:in `rescue in test'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-chat-integration/app/controllers/chat_controller.rb:22:in `test'
actionpack-6.0.3.3/lib/action_controller/metal/basic_implicit_render.rb:6:in `send_action'
actionpack-6.0.3.3/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:195:in `process_action'
actionpack-6.0.3.3/lib/action_controller/metal/rendering.rb:30:in `process_action'
actionpack-6.0.3.3/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:42:in `block in process_action'
activesupport-6.0.3.3/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:112:in `block in run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:354:in `block in with_resolved_locale'
i18n-1.8.5/lib/i18n.rb:313:in `with_locale'
/var/www/discourse/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:354:in `with_resolved_locale'

Env

HTTP HOSTS: forum.darksideoftheeclipse.co.uk

First resort should be to contact Discord support with this information and ask why this is happening.

1 Like

yeah maybe. but i will pass. i am not a dev. and have no clue what to do or what to ask. i dont understand much about this. just posting this as it used to work. now it doesnt.

maybe cause discord is changing stuff ? no idea.
i have a feeling i wont be the only one getting this issue soon.

It is helpful to share, we’re just pointing out that based on the data it looks like the problem is on Discord’s side. We can’t control that.

1 Like

i found the issue.

the discord webhook has changed from discordapp.com to discord.com
when i altered the webhook from discord.com to discordapp.com it started to work.

so for now its working. i send a ticket to discord support with this issue.
but not sure where the issue lies right now. discord or the app?

edit: the webhook url on discourse i altered.

5 Likes

thanks for posting the solution. I was going mad trying to debug this.

Hi there.

I’m having the same issue either. Seeing DiscourseChat::ProviderError message when I click test at Plugins - Chat integrations, and getting 403 forbidden from the Discord Webhook URL.

Any hint to fix it?

You still need to alter your webhook url to use discordapp.com domain instead of discord.com.

4 Likes

Hey. That solved my issue. Thanks.

I think the plugin itself should support the new API domain form on a new update too.

2 Likes

Awesome, this fixed it for me as well.

I’m getting these errors in the console and the plugin channel thing isn’t loading, is it because of a theme and do I need to disable it?

You need to check your server config and it changes if you are in Apache or Nginx. You can search that message :love_you_gesture:

On topic, could be possible to add thumbnails and reduce the message quoted in Discord? It’s very long and breaks our chat :neutral_face:

BTW thanks for your (all community) work, as always!

There was such an error in the log:

/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-chat-integration/app/controllers/chat_controller.rb:43:in `rescue in test'
/var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-chat-integration/app/controllers/chat_controller.rb:22:in `test'
actionpack-6.1.4.1/lib/action_controller/metal/basic_implicit_render.rb:6:in `send_action'
actionpack-6.1.4.1/lib/abstract_controller/base.rb:228:in `process_action'
actionpack-6.1.4.1/lib/action_controller/metal/rendering.rb:30:in `process_action'
actionpack-6.1.4.1/lib/abstract_controller/callbacks.rb:42:in `block in process_action'
activesupport-6.1.4.1/lib/active_support/callbacks.rb:117:in `block in run_callbacks'
/var/www/discourse/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:397:in `block in with_resolved_locale'
i18n-1.8.10/lib/i18n.rb:314:in `with_locale'
/var/www/discourse/app/controllers/application_controller.rb:397:in `with_resolved_locale'

i just change webhook url from discord.com to discordapp.com and all is OK :+1:

3 Likes

My initial motivation for looking for a discourse to discord integration was to inject flagged posts into discord for quicker notification and review among a team of people. The stock plugin does not support this. So, injecting flagged posts into discord is now supported here

Note that there’s probably a more Ruby-esque way to do this, and perhaps on(:reviewable) should use a queue specific to reviewables, and passing around the flagged boolean is a bit of a hack, and perhaps there’s other more generic things to do with a reviewable, but works for my purposes.

Proceed with caution: I don’t plan to try to upstream this as I have no plans to support anything other than discord, and no plans to spend more time on any of the other issues for improvement identified above.

Ends up looking like this…

1 Like

Hey everyone.
Webhook with Discord is working properly … except the message content is empty. The discourse topic/reply is not displayed on the Discord server.

If I include a ’ chat integration discord message content’, this part is well included though.

Thank you,

I got it working, finally, through some trial and error. For those who come behind me…

These instructions say:

:warning: NOTE : If you receive an error when using the webhook, ensure the domain name is discordapp.com instead of discord.com .

When I copied my webhook from Discord, it was in the following format. https://discordapp.com/api/webhooks/xxx/yyy-zzz-aaa

so, the instructions above are consistent with the url that discord provides

The trouble comes when following the instructions. The plugin settings reject the url scheme that is documented, and accept the URL scheme that is prohibited. It’s like somewhere in the code the “!” was missing.

Fortunately, the webhook url works when I use the second address, as shown in the screenshot below.

So a few suggestions that could clear up this issue, for the next guy who might not do as much trial-and-error as I did:

1. Update the validator to have “discordapp.com” pass and “discord.com” fail
  2. Update the validator to have both “discordapp.com” and “discord.com” pass
  3. update the verbiage in the instructions to not have that contradictory note.

Bonus suggestions,
under the “Setup Discourse” setting:
Step 0: after installing the plugin, enable the plugin
step 1: provide a screenshot
step 3: provide a screenshot

I am a little worried that discord will stop supporting the “wrong” scheme that I’m currently using, so I would like it if Discourse could fix this so that I don’t have to use the workaround before discord breaks my alternate URL.