Setting up Discourse on Vagrant and Windows

(David Lim) #1

I’m trying to follow the Discourse as Your First Rails App tutorial to set up Discourse on a Vagrant VM on my Windows machine. When I run ‘vagrant up’, the VM doesn’t start up.

Here is the output I get.

D:\GitHub\discourse [master]> vagrant up
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
==> default: Importing base box 'discourse-0.9.7'...
==> default: Matching MAC address for NAT networking...
==> default: Destroying VM and associated drives...
==> default: Running cleanup tasks for 'shell' provisioner...
==> default: Running cleanup tasks for 'chef_solo' provisioner...
C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action.rb:56:in `block in action_boot': C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/provision.rb:1: Invalid char `\x10' in expression (SyntaxError)
C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/provision.rb:1: invalid multibyte char (UTF-8)
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action.rb:51:in `tap'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action.rb:51:in `action_boot'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action.rb:272:in `block (4 levels) in action_start'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/call.rb:47:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/call.rb:47:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:34:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:95:in `block in finalize_action'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:34:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builder.rb:116:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/runner.rb:66:in `block in run'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/util/busy.rb:19:in `busy'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/runner.rb:66:in `run'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/call.rb:53:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:95:in `block in finalize_action'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builder.rb:116:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/runner.rb:66:in `block in run'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/util/busy.rb:19:in `busy'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/runner.rb:66:in `run'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/call.rb:53:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/box_check_outdated.rb:36:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/config_validate.rb:25:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action/check_virtualbox.rb:17:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action/match_mac_address.rb:16:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action/import.rb:32:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action/customize.rb:40:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action/check_accessible.rb:18:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/config_validate.rb:25:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/handle_box.rb:56:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/plugins/providers/virtualbox/action/check_virtualbox.rb:17:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/machine.rb:196:in `action_raw'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/machine.rb:173:in `block in action'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/environment.rb:434:in `lock'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/machine.rb:161:in `call'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/machine.rb:161:in `action'
    from C:/HashiCorp/Vagrant/embedded/gems/gems/vagrant-1.6.3/lib/vagrant/batch_action.rb:82:in `block (2 levels) in run'
D:\GitHub\discourse [master]>

I have not programmed in Ruby before.

Thanks in advance!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Unfortunately our Windows support is a bit weak at the moment; something has probably changed with Vagrant, Virtual Box, or our current version of Discourse to break it on Windows.

@techAPJ can you add this to your list to look at perhaps next week?

(Silver Quettier) #3

I have not started developping for Discourse yet - as I have still a lot to learn before - but I’m starting to develop simple webapps with Vagrant/VirtualBox on a Windows environment to get used to the tools before.

So, I can’t speak for the Discourse Vagrant development image, but these versions of the development tools work fine on Windows 7 64-bits:

• Vagrant 1.6.3
  • VirtualBox 4.3.12-93733

(Bill Ayakatubby) #4

Has there been any movement on this in the last few weeks? @david_lim, did @RabidFX’s suggestions help? I’ve decided it’s time I put my money fingers where my mouth is and start contributing more than just criticisms.

(lid) #5

for the vagrant/windows setup
I was working on an alternative workflow to bypass the issue with slow “shared folders” on windows.
basically by eliminate the need of using it.

You can see the topic I have created with my experience.

I did hit a small road block with the vagrant machine that reset the /tmp folder every time I restart the machine.
so I stopped working on that angle until I figure out why and who is clearing my /tmp folder.

(Sam Saffron) #6

I would love a better guide / updated dev setup, really sad its so hard to get started and that vagrant now is using ancient broken ruby.