Setup with digital ocean and SMTP

AI-generated summary

Setup with Digital Ocean and SMTP

User UltraAviation1 is struggling to set up SMTP on their Digital Ocean instance. pfaffman recommends using a service like Mailgun, which UltraAviation1 has successfully set up. However, they’re having trouble sending emails and receiving a “DMARC policy” error message from Mailgun. pfaffman suggests checking the Mailgun logs and using port 2525 for the SMTP port. The error message indicates that the issue is due to the “noreply@discourse.do.co” email address not being authenticated. itsbhanusharma recommends changing the notification email to a custom domain email address. codinghorror notes that this issue is likely due to the Digital Ocean one-click install. PaulRBerg suggests that Digital Ocean should add a warning to their one-click application about the importance of setting the notification email correctly. pfaffman notes that the Digital Ocean script is not being maintained and recommends running discourse-setup instead.

Hey!

I need some help with setting up, i can go into PUTTY etc,

I mainly need help with SMTP (getting a service or smthn), If you have discord please let me know if you can help me.

Thanks.

You want to use a service like mailgun. I believe that the cloud install document recommends several. If you want to run your own mail server, you’ll need to get help elsewhere. It’s just not that easy anymore.

Thanks, I just found a tutorial for mailgun :slight_smile:

Update: I need some help with SMTP, I have it all set up, I upgraded my mailgun acc but It won’t send emails.

@pfaffman Pleasee see above ^

Do you get anything in your mailgun logs?

Look at the mailgun logs; if they are empty. Use port 2525 for the SMTP port. You can re-run discourse-setup to change it.

Failed: noreply@discourse.do.co → ultrahartford@gmail.com '[The Hotel Forum] Confirm new Admin Account' Server response: 550 5.7.1 Unauthenticated email from do.co is not accepted due to domain's DMARC 5.7.1 policy. Please contact the administrator of do.co domain if this was 5.7.1 a legitimate mail. Please visit 5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2451690 to learn about the 5.7.1 DMARC initiative. g13-v6si1623047qtq.329 - gsmtp

From Mailgun

The links in the message you pasted tell you exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

It’s possible that sending to http://www.mail-tester.com will give more info.

I don’t know how to, Do I use mail tester for what?

For the first,
Go to settings and change your notification email.

Change it from noreply@discourse.do.co to something like noreply@yourdomain.tld

This also implies it is using the DO one click install, I believe they mess that email up in that exact way.

I know this is not specifically related to Discourse, but if anyone from Digital Ocean reads this thread, would you consider adding a warning in the Discourse One-Click Application explaining how important is to set the “notification email” correctly? It remained set to noreply@discourse.do.co and that was a pain in the neck as I ended up switching 3 different SMTP providers due to lack of clear warnings in the logs of the first two.

Last I heard no one at Digital Ocean was maintaining the script.

What it really should do is to instruct people to run discourse-setup.