Setup wizard doesn't start

Hi,

I’d like to change my home page layout, but I can’t get the setup wizard to start.

As ‘admin’ I navigate to /wizard but there aren’t any options to start. See the screenshot.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Have you tried upgrading/rebuilding the app? Or you could also change your home page layout using the desktop category page style site setting.

1 Like

A recent discourse upgrade required me to rebuild the app from the terminal.

Where do I find that? Is it in the yaml config file?

Here’s another screenshot with the errors reported by firefox. Does that help?

2 Likes

Do you have any non-official plugins installed?

In your site settings /admin/site_settings search for it:

A more specific URL would be /admin/site_settings/category/all_results?filter=desktop%20category%20page%20style

1 Like

Can you also please confirm how you installed the site. Did you follow the official install instructions? If not, what method did you use?

4 Likes

Hi,

No, I have zero plugins installed.

Yes. The discourse installation is nearly 3 years old. A standard docker installation that I have religiously kept up to date. now on 2.5.0.beta4

Yes, I see that. But I want to make the categories page the default when a user logs in.

Ah, yes, this discourse installation is private (from the very beginning), no anonymous navigation. I don’t know if that info. might help.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Ah! In that case, you’re looking for the top menu site setting. You can change it there manually instead of via the wizard. If you want the Categories page to be the default, you’ll need to make it first in the list. That will likely require you to remove other entries, and then add them back (hence why we recommend the wizard).

We’d still like to get the wizard working for you though. Is there anything in /logs that lines up with the timing of your last attempt to view the wizard?

5 Likes

Yes! That worked

/admin/logs/staff_action_logs nothing
/logs nothing
docker logs -f app nothing

Sorry about that. Is there anything else I can do? Please let me know.

2 Likes

Hey, this I18n was present in a recent version of Discourse. Please do another rebuild, or visit /admin/upgrade to update to latest.

6 Likes

Upgrade asked me to

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app

That ended with UPGRADE OF POSTGRES COMPLETE

Then again ./launcher rebuild app that ran the rebuild you usually see.
By the way, I noticed this again.

MaxMind IP database updates require a license
Please set DISCOURSE_MAXMIND_LICENSE_KEY to one you generated at https://www.maxmind.com

Then, once the rebuild had finished

[Fri 22 May 2020 05:38:28 PM UTC] Run reload cmd: sv reload nginx
warning: nginx: unable to open supervise/ok: file does not exist
[Fri 22 May 2020 05:38:28 PM UTC] Reload error for :
Started runsvdir, PID is 2247
ok: run: redis: (pid 2259) 0s
ok: run: postgres: (pid 2260) 0s
chgrp: invalid group: ‘syslog’
rsyslogd: imklog: cannot open kernel log (/proc/kmsg): Operation not permitted.
rsyslogd: activation of module imklog failed [v8.1901.0 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2145 ]
supervisor pid: 2255 unicorn pid: 2285

Anyway…
Back on the website at the admin panel
2.5.0.beta4 37128d71c7

And…

The wizard now works!!! :partying_face:

5 Likes