Share box changes make it harder to copy link on touch laptops

(Michael Downey) #1

In the last few days, the UI of the sharing box for a post have changed. Previously, the sharing link appeared in a textarea that made it super easy to copy & paste the URL.

Now, the links are just regular HTML text links, and are truncated so you can’t easily highlight the link and copy it. You also can’t scroll it to see the entire URL.

Was there some rationale for making this harder to use? :wink:

(Jeff Atwood) #2

On what browser and OS? You can look at my recent post history in my user profile to learn more.

(Michael Downey) #3

Oh, heh, interesting. I am currently traveling and only have access to a Chromebook Pixel, which has a touchscreen. Borrowed a friend’s laptop to test and it’s fine. Apparently that counts as a touch device. :confused:

If you think touch-screen laptops should trigger this UI (I’m not convinced given how rarely I use touch on here) feel free to close this thread.

(Neil Lalonde) #4

Hmm, touch-screen laptops… probably it should render the text input there. But on iPad (which is also touch but renders the desktop site), we want the text link to be rendered. I’ll look into a way to detect this.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

There is no way to detect this

http://www.stucox.com/blog/you-cant-detect-a-touchscreen/

When there is touch, I use touch, so I prefer this personally on my Surface Pro 3.

(Dave McClure) #6

There’s also right-click > copy link address on non-touch devices…

(Michael Downey) #7

So if there’s no way to detect a touchscreen, why is my Chromebook Pixel running:

Version 39.0.2171.94 (64-bit)
Platform 6310.61.0 (Official Build) stable-channel link
Firmware Google_Link.2695.1.155
Check for and apply updates

… triggering this new mobile/touch UI? :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Sorry, let me be clear. When a device supports both touch and mouse pointer, it is impossible to read the user’s mind and discern which of those competing methods they wish to use to interact with onscreen UI elements at any given moment.

(Kane York) #9

Interestingly, my (laptop) browser is detected as touch, but I’m not able to actually touch anything. At all.

Except outside of the browser.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Is it actually a touch laptop or not?

(Kane York) #11

Yes, there’s actually a touchscreen. Chrome just doesn’t respond to it.

Though it was actually working earlier today (and not yesterday, and not now), the controls are a little dumb: swipe right to go back, left to go forward, up/down to scroll. I don’t want to go the previous page THAT much.

(Kane York) #12

I have submitted a PR that will automatically copy the share link to the clipboard if possible:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/3605

This solves the only problem I had with my laptop being detected as touch.

(John ) #13

I’m not following the logic here. The link button is for copying a link, not clicking, right?

Then why would the UI change for a touch screen?

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Do you own a touchscreen laptop? The behavior is quite clear if you do. Try it!

The main reason is that input fields pop the keyboard. But trying to copy text out of even a read only input box (if that can be made to work, often it does not) is still super annoying on a touch laptop, too.